Winchester model 70 Recoil

roc1

I have a new model 70 in 30-06 featherweight that kicks like a mule. It has a good pad and even with my light reloads it kicks a lot worse than my old Ruger 06 or a Remington 30-06 and a Remington 270 with a synthetic stock. What can I do other than get rid of it?
Thanks
roc1

TXGunNut

PAST recoil pads help when shooting any centerfire rifle over about .243 on a bench. May also help to fire from a slightly more upright position.

roc1

I use the past pad and I loaded 110 grain bullets and it stills kicks hard. It feels a lot worse than my other rifles . It has the Pachmeyer pad on it which is a good one.
roc1

TX Hunter

Trade it back in for a Standard Weight Model 70, The Featherweight will kick harder because its lighter. Everything is give and take, give up weight, take more recoil. Good luck

codyb1991

I have a Winchester 670 in .30-06, like you said, kicks like a mule. What I did helps manage the recoil if you're out target shooting, fold up a hand towel into about 3 or 4 layers and put over your shoulder. If you're out hunting, then screw it just take your shot

rbursek

stock design has a lot to do with it too, a stock the has no drop at the heel feels less recoil since it is in line with the bore and the recoil comes straight back and keeps the muzzle down too, so you do not get just the bitting into your shoulder as much. I have a 6lb #3 Ruger in 45/70, load that to the max with a 500 grain bullet, now you got some recoil with a curved metal butt plate!!!!!!

roc1

I agree with stock design as well. It seems Winchester always kick harder in my experience
Roc1

NWCP

Funny thing about recoil. When getting the rifles and scopes ready to hunt at the range recoil is really noticeable. Seems that when you're putting a round into your favorite meal on four legs the adrenaline and focus of the hunt makes you forget about all of that. You might go through 3 rounds on a hunt when at the gun range you can easily burn a box, or more. The previous posters were right about the weight. A light rifle will be more punishing that a heavier model. It's a trade off.

American Made

"I have a new model 70 in 30-06 featherweight that kicks like a mule."

Some years ago my friend purchased one of those in 7MM Mag. ( I went with for sighting in )After about five rounds I noticed him rubbing his arm and shoulder:D I ended up sighting his rifle in that day! That thing had me looking for my Parka in the middle of summer. Shooting from the bench with that featherweight sure ain't for the timid.

hooligan1

Roc, just send that sucker to me:D (it's all I came up with sorry) Get a new stock like a H&S, or Hogue, MacMillian. Maybe that'll tame it a bit.;)

ligonierbill

I'm surprised nobody suggested a lead sled. I have used one, and they work to absorb recoil. That said, I gave it up because it got in the way and interfered with good form. Good form does help, and I use a little gel pad for heavier rounds (.338 WM). Recoil is measurable, but most of it is perception, and practice and familiarity with the rifle help. Or just get a lighter caliber.

TXGunNut

Featherweight was designed as lightweight hunting rifle. It's enoyable to carry, shooting it from the bench is another story.

kraigwy

I don't know what kind or what its made of but the recoil pad on the New FN Model 70 Featherweight takes a lot of the recoil out.

I have the FN Featherweight in 270 Win which felt recoil is less then my Post -64 Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

You might try and find one of the newer recoil pads and install it.

Now having said, I believe that recoil can be handled by proper position, (the way you hold the rifle).

I have a Standard Weight Model 70 in 375 H&H and have gotten where I can handle that quite well. Shooting from the bench wont cut it, set up straight, keep you head upright and straight, hold the rifle tight, and roll with the recoil would help with any gun.

Another Option. When I use to shoot a lot of Trap and Skeet, I put a Edwards Recoil Reducer in the stock. It worked quite well, in fact it worked too well in my Over and Under Ithica 12 gage, That gun used the recoil of the first barrel to cock the second barrel. The Edwards Recoil Reducer worked so good, it wouldn't allow the second barrel to cock. That wouldnt be a problem in a bolt action rifle.

Skadoosh

Trade it back in for a Standard Weight Model 70, The Featherweight will kick harder because its lighter. Everything is give and take, give up weight, take more recoil.

This. While very easy to carry on long and hard hunts, that gun will never be fun to shoot.

roc1

Thanks guys this is the FN gun. I would like to trade for smaller caliber. I got a good deal on this rifle but it kicks to much to enjoy it. I hunt but I love to shoot my rifles on a regular basis as well. My Remington 270 xcr will not kick near as bad and weighs about the same. It has to be in stock design. My oldest son had a 7mm mag in a model 70 that would beat you to death. It was synthetic stock which contributed.
Thanks
Roc1

FairWarning

I've never encountered a rifle that I though I couldn't carry with ease all day. Compared to the weight one lifts at the gym, they are minor objects.

I have, however, felt guns that kicked more than I like. If I coudln't get around it with a good recoil pad, I'd move on.

A slip on recoil pad solved my lightweight sporter 8mm's kicking with ease.

gunmoney

I have the same exact rifle and it is torture to shoot from a bench. I use a recoil pad when bench shooting but take it off for field use.