Winchester model 670 extractor problem

dwhite

I've had this rifle for years but haven't shot it much.

The issue I have is that the extractor seems to let go of the case rim before the case is clear of the chamber. The case pops off the extractor when the bolt is half to two thirds back and remains in the action. Any ideas?

All the Best,
D. White

GURU1911

MR. WHITE

Check for obvious problems that are simple, cheap, & quick to correct:

1. Remove bolt from receiver & inspect the end of the bolt where the extractor is located under a strong light.
2. Check to see if the end of the bolt & under the extractor ring is impacted with years of accumulated crud. If it is, clean with your favorite cleaner, an old tooth brush, & cotton swabs.

Give that a try & see if cases extract properly. If not you may contact me via "pm" for additional check items.

Guru1911

Doyle

While you have the magnifying glass out, check out the extractor claws. They should have nice clean corners. If they are gunked up clean them. If they are worn down then you are looking at replacing them. Check Numrich for parts.

Scorch

The 670 has the push-feed action, and the extractor for those slides in a T-slot and is held in palce by a spring and a small ball. The inside edge of the extractor often gets rounded, or the extractor sticks in the slot and will not fully grip a case rim. Clean with solvent and a brush until you can get full range of motion for the extractor. If you decide to remove the extractor, be careful you do not launch the spring and detent ball.

Also, make sure the ejector is moving freely since this keeps pressure between the case rim and extractor. If the plunger is jammed or sticky, you can usually get it moving again if you scrub it out well.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Model 670 is a cheapened down version of the Model 70, with a plain stock, no magazine floorplate, and a finish that is not as polished as the standard Model 70. The Model 670, AFAIK, was made only post-64, which means it uses the new bolt head and sliding extractor, not the Mauser style of the pre-64 Model 70. Those extractors are even more prone to problems than the old style and if the case is not gripped well, the plunger type ejector will push the case out of the grip of the extractor, just as Mr. White says.

In most cases, the problem is dirt or grease interfering with the extractor side movement or dirt or grease in the extractor plunger hole in the bolt. One answer is to use a good spray cleaner (I like G96 Gun Treatment for this sort of thing, but other cleaners will work) around the bolt head to free up the extractor. If that doesn't work, the extractor can be removed by using a small punch through its hole to push the plunger in and slide the extractor out to the side. (This is a good way to lose the plunger and spring, so be very careful!) Then the extractor slot and the plunger hole can be cleaned thoroughly and lightly oiled.

Jim

GURU1911

MR. DWHITE

You are indeed a blessed man. When mr. Scorch & mr. Keenan respond to a question on this forum, you can rest assured the info they provide in response to readers questions is 99% of the time right-on-the-money !!!!!

A big atta-boy to these fellows !!!!!!

Guru1911

dwhite

Thanks for the replies guys. As soon as I get a chance, I'll check things out. Hopefully it is just a matter of cleaning.

For a "cheapened down version of the model 70" it may not be pretty but it's always been incredibly accurate with most anything I've run through it. Back in the early 1980's when I bought it I liked to pop plastic gallon milk jugs out at 500 yards with it. More to a rifle than pretty.

Thanks again.

All the Best,
D. White

James K

Member In Memoriam
Actually, the 670 was not a bad looking gun, and I rather liked the looks. The 670 was made as a response to the Remington 700 ADL, which also had no floorplate. I always thought those rifles looked neat and much trimmer than the "high price spread" ones with the big floorplates. (I don't own a 670, but I do own three 700 ADL's.)

The actions are the same as the Model 70, of course.

Jim

dwhite

Disassembled the extractor assembly and cleaned it. No help. It seems like either the extractor itself is worn/too short or the recess in the bolt face is oversize.

Guy I bought this from 30 years ago never mentioned it being a problem but it did this from day one when I bought it. As a machinist I'd almost say the extractor spring hole in the bolt face was drilled out of location thus the extractor doesn't have enough travel to get a good grip on the case rim.

Any chance of getting an extra long extractor?

All the Best,
D. White

GURU1911

New extractor

Suggest contacting the folks in the parts dept @ browning arms, as they now are producing winchester parts. I got this info from the parts manager @ "fn herstal" in columbia, south carolina.

Guru1911

Doyle

I just checked Numrich and the extractor is less than $11.00 (and it looks to be in stock). For that price you might as well go ahead and replace it just to see if a new part solves the problem.

GURU1911

I totally agree with doyle. If a replacement part is available from a known supplier, then order it, install, & git-er-done !!!!

Guru1911

dwhite

Numrich seems to have a "magnum" extractor for the 670 or a "standard" extractor for a 670A model.

Wonder what the 670/670A difference is?

All the Best,
D. White

James K

Member In Memoriam
How is the ejector in that gun? That type extractor doesn't really grasp the case as hard as the Mauser type; the plunger type ejector in the bolt face exerts constant pressure on the case as it is extracted. The extractor pulls the case out of the chamber, then as soon as the case clears the edge of the receiver the ejector throws it out. If the ejector isn't working right, there is no pressure on the case and the extractor could drop it.

FWIW, I have never seen one of those Winchester extractors break or wear. If they don't work it is either due to dirt or a weak spring; far more are lost by folks taking the bolt apart than ever fail for any reason.

And they don't move far, just enough to grip the case rim.

Jim

TXGunNut

Happen to have a retired 670, probably the best rifle I'll ever own. It may not be fancy but it was a shooter! A gunsmith once told me the barrel was a little bit heavier in the chamber area and the next few inches were a little heavy as well. I think the 670A was a short action but I don't recall seeing any. If you can't fix it, OP, I'll be happy to make an offer on it.