Winchester Model 60

DadsMod12

When my mother-in-law moved out of her house after 60 years she gave me a Winchester model 60. My best guess is it hasn't been fired for at least 50 years. She said up until 5-8 years ago she would clean and oil it every year. My question is what do I need to check on before I take it to the range. The bore looks good.

Thanks, Dan

10-96

That was pretty much bare bones, not a lot of parts, put a rabbit on the table kind of rifle Winchester made during the depression years. It's a solid and durable little rifle. You've already made sure the barrel is clear. If the bolt works smoothly, about the only thing to check might be the area around the chamber to make sure someone hasn't dry-fired the snot out of it. Make sure the screws holding the barrel/receiver, and stock are tight. Beyond that, the wood might be getting dry by now, a feller might rub some ballistol into the wood and onto the metal for preservation. Shoot it, and see how it does. You might stick to regular velocity .22's and leave the Stingers for more modern rifles, but that would just be a personal thing.

RickB

My brother has our grandfather's Model 60, and it's story was very much like yours; stored for a few decades before seeing the light again when grampa passed.
It doesn't get shot a lot, but has had a few rounds through it every year for 20+ years.
It was an inexpensive gun at the time, but well made.
Give it a good clean and lube, and fire away.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of to add is that if oil got into the bolt it is possible it may need disassembly and cleaning. Springs will take a set over a period of time, so if it refuses to fire rounds regularly (after cleaning out) then the mainspring may need to be replaced. But I doubt it. The Win Model 57 I shot a lot as a kid still works just fine and is of similar vintage.