Winchester Model 52 bolt removal/reassembly

alamo

How do I re-insert the bolt of a Winchester Model 52 (.22 target rifle)?

I got it out by closing the bolt while holding down the trigger, then pushing the trigger forward and opening the bolt. It doesn’t go back in that way…pushing the trigger forward lowers the sear(?) slightly, but not enough to clear the lug on the bottom of the bolt.

Unclear on the specific model letter (52C?); this one is a 1” approx. diameter bull barrel, with 2 trigger adjustment screws forward of the trigger guard.

Also; the bolt handle can be rotated into 3 positions (relative to the bolt body) when removed from the rifle: one corresponds to ‘open’ bolt, and on either side of that is one that corresponds to a ‘closed’ bolt, and opposite that is another position that can’t be accessed when the rifle is assembled. Is the third position for stripping the bolt assembly down to its components, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Perhaps I should call Winchester and see if they have any manuals laying around…

Mike Hull

Here's what I show;

To remove the bolt, check that it's unloaded etc. then close bolt and pull trigger.
Push forward on trigger and draw bolt rearward out of the receiver. When withdrawing bolt, lift rear of bolt up slightly to clear comb of stock.

To reassemble bolt to receiver, slide bolt into receiver with flat side down.
align lug on underside of bolt handle with slot in receiver.
while holding trigger back, push bolt all the way forward into receiver.

That's from "Firearms Assembly I, the NRA guidebook to shoulder arms".