Winchester Model 190 .22 semi-auto

Buzzcook

Later this month I'm going to an auction that has one of these and I'd like to opinion of people who have used them.

How accurate are they?
How reliable, given decent care and ammo?
How easy are they to break down?

The one I'm looking at is in pretty darn good condition. It's clean and 99%blue, with some use scratches here and there that look like they'll buff out.

Gunbroker has these at between ~$125 to $180 range.

oldandslow

Buzz, 9/6/09

My dad got me a Winchester 190 when I was a kid, thirty eight years ago. Accuracy was fine whether using a scope or iron sights. It's seen a lot of use and abuse over the years and just keeps shooting. My kids learned to shoot on it as well when they were young. I have never taken it down for a detail cleaning but just run a brush and patch through it every few years when I remember. It was last shot by my daughter about a month ago when she put a hundred rounds through it on her summer vacation from college.
In summary- great rifle. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Buzzcook

Thanks, Oldandslow.

I'm hoping to get a deal on the 190 because the other people who come to the auction are more interested in collectables. So while they fight over the 1903 and the 1894, I'll sneak in and get the .22 for cheap:cool:

44 AMP

Staff
Had one as a kid

Fine little gun, accurate enough for anything you might want to do short of match shooting. Trigger could be better. Wish I still had mine.

But, if you get it, whatever you do, DON'T TAKE IT APART!.

First of all, you don't need to. Cleaning the bore and wiping out the action (as much as you can) will keep it running for decades. Using one of the spray type cleaners will do even better.

Second, they are a pain in the butt to get back together. And that's without disassembling the trigger group (not recommended). Look in (search) Harley Nolden section of the forum, and you will see more people asking for instructions on how to put one of these guns back together than any other single question! Or so it seems to me.

I vaguely remember taking mine apart when I was about 15 or so. The 3rd time the recoil spring and guide sailed across the room as I was trying to get it back together was enough to convince me not to do that again!