Winchester Md. 100

longhair

I may have a chance to pick one of these up, and I need some info on reliability and accuracy,etc.., and what one in good shape may be worth. I thought I had seen one mentioned here before, but performed a search and didn't find the info I needed. Any help would be appreciated...

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My uncle had an early one in .308; he handloaded for it and used it on a number of deer. I never heard him bad-mouth his "machine gun". He traded it off for something--don't remember what.

I had one in .308; only shot factory ammo in it. Seemed to work fine. I was not particularly overwhelmed by the accuracy, but it seemed fine for basic deer-hunting. I vaguely recall 1-1/2 inch groups...Somebody wanted it worse than I did, so I sold it.

I wouldn't consider it a tack-driver, but it works plenty good enough out to, say, 300 yards. As to reliability, the only two I've had experience with functioned quite well. I would think they're too finely machined to be considered as an "in the dirt" combat weapon.

FWIW, Art

Cat

I have no personal experience with these rifles, but a good friend had two of them. A .270 and a .308. There was some kind of problem with them about 8-10 years ago. There was a factory letter sent out, but I don't know what the problem was or if it was ever solved.
I'm trying to get in touch with my friend. He retired a couple of years ago and it's almost impossible to find him during hunting season. If I find out more, I'll post here.
Neil Casper

Longhair,

Ditto for what the Cat said. No personal experience either, except for being dissuaded from buying one by the dealer. He was a good friend and apprised me of some commonly occurring malady with the receiver. Perhaps HN can give us a historical cite here.

steve j

Longhair,
I have a winchester model 100 in .308. It is a post '64 model in pretty good shape. I paid $350 for it about five years ago with mounts, rings, and a cheap scope. I believe pre '64 rifles command a premium. Using factory remington 150 grain loads, I redily get 1 1/2" groups with it. I have not tried handloads or other brands. The gun is totally reliable. The only negative thing I have ever heard about them is that firing pins break on occasion. Magazines for the rifles can be pricey. I believe the going rate for spare factory mags is $50.00. If you decide not to get the rifle and spare mags are available let me know. A friend of mine has a model 100 in .243. His experience has been the same as mine-all positive. The model 100 was never factoy chambered in .270 win. Factory chamberings were .243, .284, and .308 (short action cartridges).

Cat

Steve,
You're absolutely right about the calibers. I jump started my brain this morning and I wasn't hitting on all cylinders. My friend has a .243 not a .270. I'm very sorry for putting out that bum info.

Neil Casper

LoneStar

My Dad has 2 Model 100's. One is a .243. It's been a great gun, my first to hunt with. It's taken numerous whitetail, and a couple of muledeer by my Dad (one at 250-300 yards). We keep it open sighted now, and it's one of my favorite rifles to hunt with in conditions that call for shots under 75 yards.
The other is a .284. This rifle had belonged to my Grandpa. He was never happy with it. It is probably the most innaccurate rifle I have ever seen. I tried to use it one season, and ended up wounding two deer :(.It hasn't been fired since. I'd like to try to get this gun to shoot right, but haven't had the time to work with it. I don't know if it can be "fixed".

Cat

longhair,
I made contact with my buddy today. He was out west hunting!
The "Product Safety Warning" came from Winchester in 1990. They warned owners NOT TO FIRE THEIR MODEL 100. There is a problem with the firing pin possibly breaking and sticking out of the bolt face. This could cause premature ignition prior to the bolt locking up.
There were four gunsmiths that Winchester authorized to check the firearm and replace the pin with a new one that was developed in 1991.
I do not know if the repaired ones were marked in any way so that you could tell if it had been upgraded.
These rifles and carbine were introduced in 1960 and discontinued in 1973.
They are very nice looking with clean lines.

Neil Casper

Cat

longhair,
There was a Safety Alert sent out by Winchester in 1990. It concerned the possibility of the firing pin breaking in the Model 100, and causing premature ignition of a round prior to the bolt locking up. Winchester had a new firing pin made and authorized four gunsmiths to replace the pins on all Model 100's. Since this model was only made form 1960 to 1973, it would seem that all of them could be affected.
Winchester warned all owners of this model not to fire them until they could be fitted with a new firing pin.
I do not know if there is a way of identifying which firearms have their pin replaced. Perhaps a mark stamped on the receiver? Maybe one of our gunsmith friends knows for sure?

Neil Casper

skeeter

I bought a new model 100 around 1973. I am not sure but I think I paid about $130 new, It was a good handling rifle but I find it would jam with factory .243 ammo. As this was my only defense gun I sold it and got a HK91 which as never once misfired or jammed. Accuracy was fair for the 100 at about 1 1/2 to 2" at 100yards where as I can get sub inch groups from the HK. To be fair the HK has a better scope.

Gale McMillan

Member In Memoriam
The concept of the 100 is sound but they had an engineering failure that they didn't leave enough room on the receiver for bedding so accuracy was never what it could have been. It was ok for short range deer rifle but wouldn't deliver that pin point accuracy some expect. I used it as a model for my gas operated Semi Auto 50 cal because of its simplicity.

JA

Got one in .308 it shoots good and is reliable. Paid $130 for it 5 years ago. Called Winchester and gave them the serial number and they sent me a new firing pin and a check for $30 to cover getting the new pin installed. All you have to do is call them and they will tell you if the pin has been replaced if not they will send one and a check. Or take it to a gunsmith and they will send him the pin and check.
My rifle will hit a 8" round steel plate at 124 yards everytime from a standing firing position with open sights. Which is not minute of angle accuracy but is minute of deer accuracy which is good enough for me.