Winchester M70 MOA trigger.

Polinese

Can the MOA trigger be removed and the rifle retrofitted with the classic model 70 trigger or was the design altered too much to allow this?

Polinese

It's not that I find the MOA trigger bad, it's a great trigger. It's more I just wanted the rugged simplicity of the old style. Isn't the Timney just kind of a MOA clone/replacement

six 4 sure

I believe you can replace the MOA with a Timney or Jard, but I don't believe there is an option that allows you to install the "old" trigger.

If you google ernie the gunsmith, he offers a replacement spring that makes the trigger better, but, IMO it doesn't feel like the "old" trigger. Personally, I've given up on the new 70's and their MOA trigger. I own to many 70's with the old trigger and it doesn't feel the same to me. It sucks. IMO, the new actions are much smoother and probably better built, but I can't get past the trigger. I tried, but it was a no-go for me. YMMV.

jmr40

Fairly certain no. Changing to anything else would defeat the purpose the OP is trying to get at. The MOA trigger works the same as all of the replacement triggers being suggested. Only the original M70 trigger will accomplish what he is trying to do.

I really wish FN would have left the old trigger design in the 70's when they started production.

trigger643

When I started my precision rifle build late last year I didn't fully research triggers. I wasn't aware of the MOA trigger until I was holding the stripped receiver in my hands. I didn't care for the new trigger and wanted to replace it with the old style.

I can relate from experience the answer is "not in any practical manner" can the old style M70 trigger be installed in a MOA triggered rifle.

This is not to say it cannot be done, but the labor required to accommodate the MOA triggered receiver to receive the old style M70 trigger is not a practical use of resources, especially when considering there are better drop in options available from Jard and Timney.

After extensively researching this, as much as I wanted to install the old style M70 trigger into my build, I decided on a Timney.

It was a good choice and I don't hesitate recommending the Timney. It's turned out to be one of the best triggers I've been on.

Polinese

I don't mind the feel or workings of the trigger... I just feel the design (like most) is over complicated and more fragile than it needs to be.