Winchester M23

stevesmith7

My brother in law got a M23 from his father in law when he died. It's marked "Model 23 XTR Lightweight". It appears to be unfired. Still in wooden factory box. He has no desire to keep it and was going to take it to the local shop and trade it in on an O/U. I told him to hold off a bit as I might be interested. I know it's no Model 21 but is it a keeper? What's a fair price?

Thanks,
Steve

johnbt

This is the only ad I've found that says lightweight, but it's another Pigeon. They're almost all xtr pigeons and classics, with a few light ducks, heavy ducks and ducks unlimited guns thrown in. Dawson's specializes in them.

www.dawsonsdoubles.com/details.php?ID=907

"Model - Model 23 Pigeon XTR Light weight
Gauge - 12 gauge
Price - $2275.00"

johnbt

Good, I think they're all Pigeon Grades and now I can quit looking. Nice guns it appears and the prices aren't too bad.

As to price. If he was going to trade it in, he was only going to get maybe half of retail. Offer him $1000 or $1200 if the gun fits you (or your safe if it's just going into the collection.)

John

stevesmith7

Thanks. I was just looking for something to put in the safe but my BIL was seeing those $2400 asking prices and thinking he was offering a good deal around $2k. I'll let him take it to a store and get some quotes before we go farther with this. Always tricky when relatives are involved. Does seem like a decent gun though.

Steve