Winchester M-770 with missing bolt

samsmix

A coworker has a Winchester Model 770 in .308, but the bolt itself is missing. I am not terribly knowledgable about Winchester bolt guns. Does anyone here have an idea where he can locate one?

jmr40

As near as I can tell it is just a budget version of the post 64 push feed model 70 action. You'll need to have the bolt fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. Those aren't just interchangeable between guns as a rule, but often do work with no additional fitting. I wouldn't shoot one unless it had been checked.

It might not be worth the effort. I looked around a bit and found new bolts for $490. Some used ones on E-bay for $90-$250, but none that would work with this rifle. Once buying the bolt he will have to pay a gunsmith to fit it too. You can buy a brand new 308 that will almost surely shoot better than this old rifle for under $400.

HiBC

Food for though: How does a bolt come up missing?

Years ago,when open display gun racks were common in households, a friend had some rifles stolen. He kept them with bolts removed,locked away for security. If you call in the serial number to your local sheriff ,they can check it against a database of guns reported stolen.

Sometimes a dangerous handload will cause a bolt to stick. Beating on the bolt handle will break the handle off. Maybe not the best rifle to buy.

I suppose its possible to lose a bolt on a hunt,carrying the rifle slung and off safe. The bolt can open.Then the bolt stop would have to fail. I'd give it a"Possible but not probable"

I think someone is saying "Let my problem become your problem".

Given you are someone "not very knowledgeable" I'd suggest buying one of many .308 bolt rifles available in Montana that is complete and will shoot.

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

The lesson to be learned here is to always store guns fully assembled and consider other strategies for security. This often happens as the result of someone's bright idea to render a gun safe from unauthorized persons, children or otherwise. This strategy is often repeated to others, and because at face value, it seems like a good idea at the time. So the practice spreads, and this is the result over the long haul.

samsmix

It was given as collateral on a rental (house), with the promise of "I'll get you the bolt" which was kept elsewhere due to children in the house. The renter died of heart problems, and no one knows where the bolt was kept.

The darker possibility of a stolen gun occurred to my coworker, and took it to the police. No hit.

samsmix

Given you are someone "not very knowledgeable" I'd suggest buying one of many .308 bolt rifles available in Montana that is complete and will shoot./QUOTE]

1. It isn't my gun. I am not interested in owning it, nor is he interested in selling it.
2. I said I am not terribly knowledgeable about WINCHESTER bolt guns.

I AM knowledgeable about rifles, and I DO know that every manufacturer makes a $400 plastic-stocked shooting appliance that will perform well. I even own a few...

...but then that wasn't the question.

"Where" and possibly "how much" are what he needs to know.

Pathfinder45

Well, if someone was holding that bolt for colateral, and they died, I would guess that the bolt is likely in their house. I would get a picture of a similar bolt to give to the people remaining in that house, tell them that's what to look for, and offer a reward sufficient to compel them to look for it and probably find it. $100.00 comes to mind. I hope this idea is helpful.

FrankenMauser

When available, Numrich lists the 770 bolt at $108 and some change.
Wait long enough, and one should pop up.
It is far from cost-effective to try using a Model 70 bolt.

---

As for bolts coming up missing...
I've seen it before. Usually, it is simply a case of faulty memory, or the owner passing away, after the bolt was removed for "safety" or security reasons.

A few examples:

My grandfather, long ago, got into many heated arguments about gun safety with his gun-hating wife (it had something to do with a dismembered deer and what she saw as gun-toting hunters getting liquored up around a kitchen table... :rolleyes:). Giving in to the angry woman, he disassembled his firearms and stored them in pieces. Eventually, he decided that he should just give them away; but couldn't find all of the parts. It took many years before he collected everything and offered the piles of parts to family members that knew what to do with them.

Had he passed away before locating everything, we still wouldn't have all of the parts to those firearms. As much as my grandmother hates guns, and even their parts, there's no way she'd let us go looking for the missing pieces before she died. (Which she hasn't. She's hanging on for her goal of 114!)

My brother's father-in-law owns an M16 Berthier carbine (8x50R Lebel). However... he stripped the rifle and hid most of the pieces eight to ten years ago. As of now, we have located the stock, barreled action, and magazine "box". Everything else is still missing. If he kicked the bucket tomorrow, it would probably be when the wife also passes, before the house could be sorted, organized, and cataloged, and the rest of the parts were (possibly) located.

I bought a rifle a few years back that was missing the bolt. Why? Because it was dirt cheap (literally $8, minus the bolt). Why was it missing the bolt? Because it had ended up in a gunsmith's hands, and he didn't think the rifle was worth its weight in scrap metal. So, he sold the bolt and used the rest of the rifle to keep the stove pipe of his wood-burning stove wedged in place in his shop. :rolleyes:

Heck, I've been there myself, now that I think about it.
At one point in time during my military life, I had a room mate that I didn't trust. I was too poor to afford a safe, but had two firearms in my possession. I hid the handgun in plain sight (very well, it turned out -- the room mate went looking for it once). And I removed the bolt from the rifle, in order to render it inoperable. The problem? When I needed the rifle for hunting season, it took me two weeks to find the bolt. :rolleyes:

eastbank

a friend lost the bolt(i don,t how he did it) out of his rifle comming out of the woods after a hunt, we looked for it for several days useing a metal detector. never did find it. eastbank.

jmr40

As many have said, this isn't a simple DIY project. You can't just order a bolt and put it in the rifle and hope it is safe to shoot. The work is going to have to be done by a competent gunsmith. Your best bet is to simply take the gun to a gunsmith and let him locate a bolt, or at least advise you of where to locate one on your own.

The rifle in question is worth no more than $200 with the bolt, without the bolt it is a tomato stake. Do what you want, but I'd not spend $400-$500 to make a $200 rifle usable. If you can find a bolt at a reasonable price and have the work done for under $200 total I might think about it.

It would be different if this were a classic rifle worth over $1000, but this is a cheap budget gun from the 1960's.

Slamfire

A coworker has a Winchester Model 770 in .308, but the bolt itself is missing. I am not terribly knowledgable about Winchester bolt guns.

I would say the rifle is worth its value in parts. The stock might be worth $70.00, the trigger guard, trigger, magazine, all those parts have value. If the barrel is removed from the receiver he might get $50.00. Without a bolt, the receiver will make an interesting paperweight, but because it is a firearm, not a paperweight that can be easily sold.

Blindstitch

Good luck helping a coworker. Usually stuff like that blows up in your face for no reason. If there's no sentimental value then it's more trouble than it's worth.

samsmix

It's his pIle of parts, and he seems to have the money to blow. Personally I wouldn't resurrect the thing, but....his call.