Winchester lever actions

BlueTrain

What do people here think of the current crop of Winchester lever actions, as compared with both older Winchester lever actions, and to other brands that have lever actions, particularly Marlin, and also to other action types.

I do know that different grades are available, from one with a plain hardwood, to plain walnut and checkered walnut (not to mention all the fancy ones). This is also true of Marlin, of course, but the basic action seems to be the same.

One of the reasons I ask is the occasional comment I hear now and then about a certain part being cheaply made or poorly made and I hear the same think about Marlin. Wood to metal fit isn't that good anymore and even I can see that. I suspect that you couldn't tell the difference on the range, especially if it was me doing the shooting.

Joven

Before I bought my Marlin 336 I did a lot of research and found that both were good guns but the concensus was that the Marlin receiver was stronger and less likely to break over time. I have had the Malin 336 in a 30-30 for several years now, hunt with it every year and think it is a great gun.

I just recently bought a Marlin 336CS over the Winchester Legacy. I actually took the Legacy model home. I liked the slim feel of it and it was lighter. However, the Marlin's action was just smoother. After some research...I took the Legacy back and traded it for the Marlin. (luckily they like me at the local gun store). I think the Winchester is just as sturdy.....It just doesn't feel as sturdy. The action is just rough. I'll be carrying my Marlin tonight.

fungusmunkey

Never shot a marlin, but i have two winchesters.

One being a 60's era 30-30 and another a new Trapper in .357.

The older gun is a bit heavier but they both seem to be quality!

Laz

Recently I traded a 30-30 off on something else and did a side-by-side mini-evaluation of my Marlin 336SS and Winchester 94 AE. While I admire the Marlins and have a couple 1894s, I traded the 336 and kept the Winchester because the Winchester "feels" better and has better balance for me and shoots just fine. The Marlin was an accurate and soft-shooting carbine, but as much as I liked it, bottom line was I was simply not going to give my Winnie up, period. More recently I added a 30-30 Legacy round-barrelled 24" as a stable-mate. Marlins "feel" tighter but I think the Winchester toggle-action simply has more play designed into it, even though I have handled some that had more play than I liked. In 30-30, I don't think any reputed strength difference is a factor, both are amply strong. There are even some who claim the Winchester to be stronger. In 30-30, it's a moot point, IMO. I could see buying another 336 some day (I did like it) but next time would probably get the blued version simply because it's "prettier" to my eyes.

gak

For some reason, I always feel/have felt that the Winchester choice was the one for the "true" brush/saddle/truck gun application--i.e., without scope, even with the AE permitting one. Having owned several Pre 64s (including a current one that's a nifty Pre War (1917) SRC in good shape/feel guilty shooting it but occasionally just gotta :) bore shiny as new and still shoots like new even with plenty of time and at least cosmetic wear on it) and two AEs, still feel that way... The balance, feel as someone else pointed out is just so on the 94s. Though not a recommended practice, so balanced and right-feeling to the extent that it is the only "truly tossable" (rifle caliber) lever out there. To me, the Marlin is the choice if inherently wanting to scope it and it is a fine gun from what friends have told me and consistent stories in this forum. IMO that is the choice between the two...and if you choose the 94 for the purposes mentioned above, you still have the knowledge that you can apply a scope if so desired.

fungusmunkey

I agree with Gak!

Winchester lever actions should not be scoped!
changes the feel and balance.

if you want a scope get a marlin!
top eject baby.

stevelyn

Current crop of both Winchesters and Marlins.:barf: No thanks. I think I'll just look for earlier models.

They were just fine for well over a 100 years without manual safeties and lawyer proofing.

BlueTrain

I don't like the push through safeties but overall, the design hasn't changed for a long time. One shortcoming is all those screws that need to be tightened now and then.

surg_res

I've always been under the impression that the '94 is one of those constants in the firearms industry, kind of like the north star--always in the same place. As for safties, who can complain about a top tang, especially when in the hands of younger shooters?

I also second gak's opinion about keeping the irons on the '94. Scopes and saddle-guns are just not a happy marriage. Furthermore, as a traditionalist when it comes to the outdoors, if you can't take your deer or whatever with an open-sighted 30-30, you need practice, not a bigger gun with more glass. If I'm not mistaken, the win 94 in 30-30 still kills more deer than any other gun/caliber combo in the US each year (most shots being < 100 yards).

N.H. Yankee

Having owned a few of both throughout the years, I prefer the marlins as todays models are stonger and usually more accurate. I even owned a model 94 30-30 made in the late 40,s and it was not as accurate or solid as the new 336. I have a 336 in 30-30 that will put 10 shots at 100yds in a 2 inch group and five in an inch. I never got clost to that with my model 94's. I do like the Winchester model 71 348win. I think it was one of the best lever actions made. I had a Win model 95 in 30-40 krag and those too were well made with the exception of the butt plate that was a curved metal deal that after a couple shots would cause severe shoulder discomfort. I think the 94 has a strong nastalgic following and its a good gun but I do not feel it will last as long as the 336 as the ones I owned quickly developed lever rattle and my 336 after 9 years and at least 1500 rounds is strong and quiet as ever. I also like the side eject and the ease of mounting a scope on the 336 verses the 94. I think the 336 and 94 are like the chevy verses ford debate, each have their followers.

Gewehr98

Never did like that liability lawyer crap.

As for safties, who can complain about a top tang, especially when in the hands of younger shooters?

I can, especially when I want to mount a Lyman #2 or equivalent rear tang sight on the gun, only to find that damnable and unnecessary tang safety sitting right there.

All my Winchester 94 lever guns are pre-safety, top-eject models - the way John Moses Browning intended them to be. My "newest" one was made in 1975:

win94castbullets.jpg

Jack O'Conner

We have both in our rack. A Glenfield 30GT anf Winchester 94 Legacy. They're both very good shooters and tough enough for any weather conditions.

The Legacy has a long trigger take up which takes some getting used to. But unlike some guys, I like the safe assurance of the cross bolt safety device. Wood fit and quality of checkering is clearly better with Legacy.

I like both of our carbines. Accurasy is about the same also. But our Legacy definately prefers 170 grain bullets best of all. This Glenfield (Marlin) shoots best with 150 grain core-lockts. Go figure.
Jack

Peter M. Eick

I just bought my second pre-64 30/30 94. Great guns, truly works of art and if you can find one like I did that was unfired, snatch it up. Exceptionally well made.

I looked at between 500 and 1000 94's today at the Houston Gun show trying to find a nice 38-55 pre-64. The nice ones I found were going for $2800 but most were 30/30's and they were running between 300 and 600$. Also, they were used "hard". They worked great, but looked poor.

I am sure glad I got the 2 that I have in the condition I got them in. "Pristine" comes to mind.

impact

I have three Marlins. They are fine guns! but If I had to pick it would be the Winchesters. I also have three Winchesters and they are just beautiful guns that work good. I much like the bluing better on the Winchesters. I just bought a 94 with fancy wood. When I get it I will take a pic and show it. It's beatiful!

MeekAndMild

Winchester makes some pretty good ammunition. :)

(My grandmother said if you can't say something good about somebody, et cetera.)

cuate

Winchesters and Marlins

Have some of both, no complaints on either. Favorite is Real Winchester '92 in .45 long colt for my past tense Cowbow action shooting, love it for its accuracy and plinking around.

Marlin .357 bought for son also previous Cowboy action use, accurate and fine plinking gun.

New Winchester Trapper 30-30 bought because it was dealers cost plus state tax. Fine shooter, accurate, I would hunt with this one if I wasn't so hung up on my old 1896 Krag carbine. This Trapper will shoot those expediter bullets that should be coyote poison, I haven't seen the groups on that ammo as yet.

Would venture as my opinion only that Winchester vs. Marlin are only a personal choice and both are good rifles.