Winchester Dynapoint .22 Magnum misfires

Gunner54

I bought a several cases of this Winchester Dynapoint .22WMR a year ago to use as practice ammo, and have been shooting it out of a North American Multi-Master mini revolver. To start, I was getting misfires of about 1 in 5. Firing pin depressions were deep enough, but it looked like maybe the strike was too far out on the rim.

I returned the pistol to North American for rework, and the after the return it was better: 5 misfires of of 35 rounds, or 1 in 7. I took the misfired rounds and loaded them rotated 180degrees, and 3 of the 5 misfired rounds fired. Too many misfires to ever consider it for self defense.

I did fire 10 rounds each of Hornady and CCI ammo without misfires. But 22 rimfire ammo is almost impossible to come by now, and I wasn't inclined to to waste more of the 'good stuff' just to test.

How have you other guys fared with this ammo? All Good, or like my experience?

oldcabin

I have shot lots of several brands of 22wmr out of a single six. I don't specifically remember the winchester. Lots of Hornaday and CCI. I started thinking about it after reading your post. I don't think I have ever had a FTF in 22wmr. 22lr yes same gun I'm sure. Did NAA say that your problem is seen often?

FrankenMauser

The hulls Olin (Winchester) uses for the Dynapoint line are the lowest quality they produce. They're the hulls that didn't meet the quality standards for their "Supreme" loads.

I think I've gone through about 400 rounds of Dynapoints, over the years. They were never impressive. And, the only FTF I've ever had with .22 WMR was a Dynapoint. However... a failure to fire rate of 1:7 is absolutely abysmal. Even the Dynapoints shouldn't do that. It's either a bad batch of ammo, or a problem with the firearm. ...It sounds like both.

Just a random side note, from my experience...
CCI (Federal/Speer/CCI/Blazer/Hornady/etc) .22 WMR loads perform more consistently than anything else I've tried.
Winchester (in the Supreme loads) has the most dimensionally consistent hulls.
If we could get them to join forces, we'd have the most reliable and consistent rimfire ammunition the world has ever seen! ;)

Mobuck

Several decades ago I had a very nice 22WMR revolver but traded it off after discovering ignition was much too "iffy" for my intended purpose. Seems to be a very narrow window as far as brass hardness goes. Got to be hard enough to withstand the pressure but soft enough to crush under the firing pin.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Mobuck states the case very well. The WMR is higher pressure than the .22 LR and so needs thicker brass to contain the pressure. But guns with light hammers or firing pins will then not have enough momentum to dent the brass and fire the round reliably. Since increasing the mass of the hammer is not usually feasible, increasing spring tension can sometimes work. But then, the gun becomes harder to cock. Darn physics! You don't get nuttin' for nuttin'!

Jim

Brian48

I just recently shot a 50ct box of Dynapoints recently with my Ruger Single Six. Seemed to work fine for me.

Jim March

I have had experiences with the .22Mag and my advice is, stick to CCI primers and ammunition. Fortunately this includes the new Speer Gold Dot in .22Mag as they own CCI and relied on them for shells and primers.

I've had trouble with others, including Winchester.