Winchester Closing?

Big Cabin

I overheard someone say at a gun show this last weekend, Winchester was closing it's doors at the end of the month. It will cease all US production. Has anyone heard the same. There is nothing about it on their web site or anywhere else that I can find.
Thanks.

hpg

I had a Law Enforcement Officer tell me this a couple of weeks ago. This is only the 2nd I have heard this. hpg

steve1589

The distributors are sold out of Winchesters with the exception of a few controlled round pushfeed models and shotguns.No more Model 70 Classics. No more Model 94s. It is a sad day.

nemesis

FN, Fabrique National, have closed down American production and moved all facilities offshore. Bolt action rifles and shotguns will continue to be produced in Belgium, Portugal and Japan but many favorites, such as lever guns, will be discontinued.

fleshwound

Winchester Ammo

I was told by a gun dealer, that Sellier & Bellot manufactures Winchester ammunition, as well as many more US brand name ammo. Can anyone verify this? I did read that S&B will produce large orders in the event that the US manufacturer can't handle the volume of that order, and put the US manufacturers name on it. I don't know if this guy was trying to sell me junk ammo by saying it was just as good as Winchester or not? I bought Independence Ammo in .40cal. I've never heard of it. Any help would be much appreciated.

owen

FN has simply closed the New Haven plant. The affected lines are the M70, M1300 and M1894. The rest of the Winchester line (Select, Energy, SX2) will continue to be manufactured. The future of those lines is up in the air.

FN made the decision becuase that plant, USRAC New Haven, has been in the red for a 15 years. Every year for the last 10 years, FN has stated that "This is the last year!"

It's amazing that FN held off for so long.