Winchester AutoComp

mnoirot64

I recently purchased a pound of Winchester AutoComp. This is the first time I'm hand loading with this powder. The powder I used immediately prior to this was Hodgdon CFE Pistol. These powders look almost identical. What is the comparable Hodgdon powder? Is it CFE Pistol? Thanks,

Michael Noirot
Clarksville, Tennessee

Sevens

Are you asking about a "comparable" powder, as you said? Or are you looking for the exact equivalent powder?

If there is an exact equivalent powder, I would think you'd have to contact Hodgdon or perhaps ADI about that. And these days, Hodgdon handles all the sales for all the Winchester powders, so I'm sure they would have the correct answer. I am not sure that they'd supply that answer, but you could try.

In my opinion, I would believe that an Alliant alternative might be Power Pistol, but it is quite unlikely that it's the same powder.

Wreck-n-Crew

My understanding is that it is (CFE) like Autocomp with a copper cleaning agent/chemical. As far as Autocomp goes I love it in the common Semi-Auto calibers (9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP). Autocomp has a flash suppressant and is great for compensated guns or reloading SD ammo (I know.... the taboo of reloading SD ammo.... and so forth).

I love Autocomp and is on my permanent to buy list and especially for 40 S&W. Saw some CFE on the shelf yesterday and was tempted but I have a lb. of red dot and two lb.'s of Tight Group (witch I have yet to work up the first loads on) so I really am good for a day or two.

IMO Autocomp 9mm loads will soot just a little on lower end power loads but clean in 40 mid range loads. IF you have CFE experience let me know how it compares will ya?

mnoirot64

I have loaded a lot of CFE Pistol. It's very clean burning and provides the velocities they advertise. I look forward to shooting the 45 ACP I just loaded up with AutoComp. If I didn't know any better, I would say AC and CFE Pistol are identical powders - at least visually. They do have different recipes on the Hodgdon website, though.

Sid

I have been using Autocomp in my 9mm Witness Match for many years with a 124 grain FMJ bullet and was quite satisfied with it. When I was unable to get any more I switched to 4.2 grains of Tightgroup with the same bullet. To my great surprise accuracy improved and recoil was less. Quite frankly, I don't know the reason for this.

T. O'Heir

You can tell absolutely nothing about a powder by just looking at it. Those 2 are very close but not the same according to the burn rate chart.