Winchester AA shotshells

xm21

I have read a lot here on cheap shells causing problems.I bought a box of #9 Win AA's in 20 ga in 2001.Nine rounds of these would not go into the magazine because the rims were either oversize or out of round.The gun is an Ithaca 37 made in 1942.The other 16 shells in the box worked fine,has anybody else ever ran across shells that would not go in the magazine?

Jeff Mulliken

Winchester AA's are not cheap shells. They are good quality target loads.

There is a problem. Take the shells back to the store.

Jeff

Scattergun Bob

the heads of the shells were to big?

Hi xm21,

Boy, you got me on this one. Win double A hulls are like the gold standard for skeet hulls. You say that you bought this box in 2001, could something have been done since your purchase to deform the hulls? Lets try a brand new box and tells us what happens, OK.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited:

BigJimP

Winchester hulls are not the best in the industry - they've had a number of issues pop up especaially over the last 4 or 5 years on the HS hulls - changing lengths overall, internal bases coming loose, etc. Many reloaders, unless they can get the "old style" Win AA's have moved onto Reminton STS or Nitro hulls in most gagues. Winchester does make some lower end "promotional" shells - so it's a little tough to say what you have.

But Winchester is not the cheapest hull on the market either.

I would take them back and discuss it with the store and see what they can do.

Ruger4570

You might also try contacting Winchester. I once had 2 AA hulls split, before firing and they gave me a certificate for 4 free boxes of shells. Not too bad a deal for me.

RoscoeC

Nine rounds of these would not go into the magazine because the rims were either oversize or out of round.

How about measuring the heads with a caliper and really determine whether they are oversize, or out of round?

xm21

I will check these with a caliper and after talking this morning with the guy I was shooting with the shells were bought in fall of 2003 not 01.If any one lives near Knoxville Tenn,and knows a gun smith or a gun shop owner or employee close to there I would gladly take the gun and shells there to verify that this is a problem with the shells.I would hate it to be thought I was either incompetent or not telling the truth.Thanks

xm21

The AA's were 19 1/4 mm wide on the calipers we used.The other shells we measured were rem express,win superx field,win superx heavy field,and wal mart win universals from a 100 pack.All these were 19 1/8 wide.The AA's rim was thinner than the others tested.We put four of the AA shells into the magazine by forcing the in,none would come out,the fist three were removed by pulling the mag cap and spring and dropping the rem express down the tube,the fourth had to be knocked out with a cleaning rod.The extra width and sharper edge were catching right in the area the shell latch.The lot # is
L202725A
E121300
Winchester Target load
AAH209

AF_Reloader

Winchester AAs are the ONLY shotshells I've bought new, and I like em almost as much as my hand loads. :D

And I've had the same experience as Ruger: 3 duds in one box, contacted Winchester, and receieved a certificate for 100 free rounds.