Winchester 9mm Nato

stevieboy

Cabela's was running a special on this ammo and I picked up a few boxes of it. It's FMJ and rated as 10% more pressure than a regular 124gr 9mm and I assume that means that it's essentially +P.

I tried a box of it in my CZ 75B SA and the gun LOVES it. Recoil is fairly robust but manageable and I've never fired any ammo through this gun that shot so accurately for me. An added benefit is that my CZ's fixed sights have the gun shooting slightly high for me with regular 124gr 9mm. I have to take a 6 o'clock hold at 10 yards and about an inch below 6 o'clock at 25 yards to score decently. But, with the Nato ammo, the gun shoots directly to POA. And, the groups are truly tiny.

Have any of you had experience with this ammo?

Vince302

If you ever get into reloading you will experience the same thing. Reloads as loaded per various tables are generally hotter than most factory loads...at least that has been my experience.

Vince

AustinTX

no, it's not +p. it's NATO...hotter than normal, but NOT +p..

Any 9mm with an average maximum pressure from higher than 35,000 psi to 38,500 psi -- which would include 9mm NATO -- is a +P round.

ClydeFrog

Winchester Ranger T 9mmNATO 124gr FMJ rounds...

I bought 1 50rd box of Winchester Ranger T 124gr 9mmNATO FMJ.

I haven't fire any of it yet and bought it for use in spare carry/duty magazines or for small(sub-compact) type 9x19mm pistols.

It looks like high quality stuff. ;)
I got it from www.SGammo.com in OK.
The website sales description states the 9mmNATO load is "+P" but the Winchester Ranger T box only says; 124gr 9mmNATO.

DarkRayz

My CZs like it too but remember it's military brass so won't be easily reloadble in case u save your brass don't mix it with the other stuff!

sigxder

Yes I just shoot some today in fact. It's a 124gr. bullet moving at about 1180 f.p.s.. You can feel the difference in it compared to the standard pressure loads. I have also found them to be extremely accurate. I got a deal on 500 rounds of it a few months ago. Wish I would have bought 1000 rounds of it now. In fact it has shot better than alot of target ammo I've shot. Good stuff!

stevieboy

Funny how a product like this can slip under the radar. I'd never heard of it until a few months ago when I was at WalMart and asked the clerk if he had any 124gr 9mm in stock. He handed me a couple of boxes of it and I purchased it without looking at it, thinking I'd bought Winchester white box 124gr. 9mm. I was a bit surprised when I got home and looked more closely at what I'd bought. I fired it, loved it, and was a bit disappointed when I couldn't find any more of it at WalMart. Then, last week, I saw this "special" advertised at Cabellas and I bought 10 boxes of it.

It's definitely louder than regular 124 and there's noticeably more muzzle flip. Not so much as to be distracting, just noticeable. That aside, it appears to be a superb range round for those whose guns prefer hotter stuff, and my CZ definitely is one of those. I'm surprised that Winchester seems to have made no effort to advertise/market the stuff.

Trigger Finger

MidwestRookie. "no, it's not +p. it's NATO...hotter than normal, but NOT +p.. "

Why do you say it is NOT +P? If it's hotter than normal it is +P! And NATO ammo is +P.
+P seems to work better in most pistols and it is just as accurate if not more accurate. When I carry a 9mm that's all I carry!

BC07

Question

What makes this nato and not just +p 9mm? I have read through this and haven't found out why. I have seen this ammo before at bass pro and thought it might have fallen into the category of like the 7.62 nato.

dreamweaver

all i know is that my colt sporter LOVES the stuff.
i'm guessing it's what i shot when i qualified in the army(with the barretta) but i can't say for sure.
it comes up in 500 round cases on GB now and then

notamisfit6

What makes this nato and not just +p 9mm? I have read through this and haven't found out why. I have seen this ammo before at bass pro and thought it might have fallen into the category of like the 7.62 nato.

It meets the NATO cartridge spec rather than the SAAMI +P cartridge spec. Different measuring points, different units of pressure, so on, and so forth. They're similar but not identical.

psyshack

It's a great 124gr basic +P FMJ round. :) I like shooting it out of my Sigma and PF-9. It's also my brass of choice that I use for my 124/148gr XTP SD reloads that are hotter than the NATO stuff.

Reloading it is not a issue. The primer crimp is weak to say the least. I would say 90% of my Win NATO brass needs no crimp primer pocket work done.

I enjoy shooting it when I can find it cheap. And always pick up my brass and other shooters when they leave if that shot it. :)