Winchester 9422M value?

Are these decent rifles?
What would the value of one be in perfect as-new condition?
Have a potential trade for one, but don't know if the value he places on it is accurate.

Not willing to spend any, would be a trade plus cash on his end. He's valuing at $1,200. Just want to know if that is accurate from people who know more about these rifles and their value than I do.

Minorcan

There is a big difference in value with many things like year of build, wood quality, checkering or not, sights, etc. They are very accurate and a barrel of fun to shoot. They can be a deadly squirrel gun. I have a couple nice older models and would not pay $1200. $500 to $850 is what I would go but that is only my opinion.

PS - they are asking a premium price in trade I would do the same for what I would be trading as well.

joed

That's a beautiful gun. I have a 9422 in the same condition myself and won't part with it. Many of my friends have tried to get me to sell mine but it's not happening.

For what you have been offered I can't fault you. I had a beautiful Python that I was offered way to much for, it's gone and at the price I sold it for I have no regrets.

bamaranger

9422M

Price is what the buyer will bear. The 9422M and it's kin are no longer made (I reckon everybody knew that,yeah?) and prices have skyrocketed, even for poor examples. In my area, .22mag ammo is still not really back on the market, and ammo cost is high as well.

I was in the hunt for a 9422M when they were discontinued, then the ammo crisis hit, and my yearn for a .22 mag lever has about burned out.

22 mag is plentiful around here, but still around $15/50. No more than I'll shoot it, I can live with that.

Told the guy I'd take the trade + some cash on his end to even up in value.
Thanks for all the replies.

jmr40

I'd say $1000+ is a fair price for that rifle in great condition. $1200 might be too much, but 20 years from now people would probably think you stole it at $1200.

Without knowing what you traded or how much extra he paid it is impossible to say how well you did. But if you like the rifle that is all that matters.

AL45

I paid $300.00 brand new in 1988. It was dead on accurate and a real beauty. Got married two years later and had to sell it to pay for car repairs. Still miss that gun.

44 AMP

Staff
My brother had a 9422 and Dad had a 9422M back in the 70s. Accurate, well made, great training rifle for someone who was going to use a Model 94 .30-30 or .32Spl for deer.

Otherwise stupid heavy for a .22 and foolish expensive. Especially the .22WMR. No idea what the prices for one today are, other than insanely high. Sorry.

I remember the last time (before the current rifles that say Winchester on them) that Win closed their factory. Two weeks later at the gun show, everything that said Winchester on it had jumped $100 in asking price.

Never have figured out why a discontinued car gets sold at a discount, but a discontinued gun gets priced like it made of gold, almost instantly...

603Country

44AMP, are you saying that the 9422 is "stupid heavy"? I have one (paid $80 for it about 5 years ago) and it's delightfully light. My 39A is way heavier.

As for what I paid, I had taken a 22 to a local gunsmith for repair, which consisted of asking him to reassemble what I had disassembled. The 9422 was leaning against the wall and was a bit beat up. I asked if it was for sale, and he said he'd take $80. Man, I pounced on that deal. Had to clean it up and redo the stock.

But, back to the point...it's not at all heavy, though maybe a 9422M is heavier.

44 AMP

Staff
OK, for $80, I would pounce on one too! ;)

The listed weight for both the 9422 and 9422M is 6.5 lbs. EXACTLY the same as the listed weight for the model 94 .30-30.

The Marlin 39A also has a listed weight of 6.5lbs!! The 39M carbine is listed as 6lbs.

Individual rifles with wood stocks will vary a few ounces, due to differences in wood density, but are generally pretty close to listed weights.

I would think that if your 39A feels way heavier it might be more a matter of balance than weight. Only the scale knows for sure...;)

As to "stupid heavy" when my brother had his 9422 (6.5lbs) I had a Win 190 semi auto (5lbs), so the lever gun being 1.5lbs heavier than the semi auto I had WAS "stupid heavy" to me.

There ARE times when an extra couple of pounds of gun weight make a LOT of sense. General use .22LR rifles isn't one of them. :D

603Country

Dang, now I have to weigh them, if my scale is up to it. Both have scopes, but the scopes aren't the same, so the comparison won't be just rifle to rifle. Both have leather slings and both are fully loaded, so if I can weigh them I'll have what I can term 'use weight'.

603Country

Ok, back from the workshop. I weighed the 9422, loaded, with scope and sling, at 7.5 pounds. The 39A, loaded with scope and sling, weighed what looked to be about 8.2 pounds. The scope on the 9422 is an old Leupold 2-7. The 39A scope is a new Nikon 3x9 rim fire scope.

There's a lot more steel on the 39A, mostly in the significantly longer barrel. The gun is heavy. One thing is certain. Both rifles are heavier than the 22 bolt and semi guns that I have.

For what it's worth, both rifles are very very accurate. If I had to carry one all day, it would be the 9422, just due to weight.