Winchester 94

Gunplummer

I was just reading the Rossi post and thought about when I was cruising through Gunbroker's 94 Winchesters. It seemed odd to me that there were no bids other than rifles from the 50's and light caliber guns. Apparently the Cowboy guys scarf up the pistol caliber 94's. Take a look through Gunbroker and nobody is bidding on the commemorative 94's. I hope a lot of people were not buying them up as a retirement fund.

gyvel

Take a look through Gunbroker and nobody is bidding on the commemorative 94's. I hope a lot of people were not buying them up as a retirement fund.

Commemorates are just about the worst investment you can buy in guns. I made that mistake once in the 80s. When I was finally able to unload it in the early 2000s, I had to take a partial trade and some cash and broke even. LOL

dahermit

.357 Magnum/.38 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 long Colt(Maybe), 44-40, 38-40, maybe a couple others in there.
I was under the impression that only rifle calibers were offered in the Winchester 94s and pistol calibers as listed above were offered in Winchester '92s. Is that incorrect?

MJN77

I was under the impression that only rifle calibers were offered in the Winchester 94s and pistol calibers as listed above were offered in Winchester '92s. Is that incorrect?

Originally, yes. You are correct. Winchester started chambering the 94 in pistol calibers in (I believe) the 1970s or 80s.

jmr40

Pre-64 model 94's bring a small premium, those prior to WW-2 a much larger premium. Most of the 94's made in the 60's and 70's are not that great and shouldn't really sell for much, but prices often surprise me. The 1980's and 90's guns are generally better built, but the safety on them turn off a lot of buyers.

94's in pistol calibers have never been made in great numbers. I'd say they sell for more simply because there were never many built. I wouldn't want one, the guns were never intended for shorter cartridges and they have never been as dependable as the rifle calibers. The 92 was designed for pistol calibers and is the way to go if you want one.

SARuger

I wanted a lever action for my collection and I really wanted a .44mag. Sticker shock finally got me. I ended up with a really nice early model 94AE in 30-30 for cheap! Its cheap to shoot too, much cheaper than the revolver calibers. Even with a good set of peeps I have less than $200 in it and I can get my "lever action" fix any time I want to.

Gunplummer

It certainly looks as if the pre-64s move along pretty well. Usually a couple bidders jump in on them. I like watching the auctions. You can see what is popular. There is no hiding that when they show the bidding.
I wonder if the gun value books keep an eye on the auctions? I was at a live auction (Before the net) and the guy next to me was marking down every sale price. I did not want to be too nosey, but he did say at one point that he was working and it was getting late. I asked if he was bidding for someone else and he said he was not there to bid. The guy was really busy trying to keep up so I let him alone, but I often wondered if he was some kind of value researcher.

I've never had much interest in the Model 94. The shape of the stock just beats me up.

But I've never quite gotten past that desire to own one...

But I want either a .32-40 or a .38-55. But I sure as hell don't want one of the ugly commemoratives.

Which means I'm going to end up paying a serious premium for an older gun.

samsmix

I haven't been to Gun Broker in years. What is a run of the mill m-94 in 30-30 selling for? I'm interested in a lower price, not a collectable era.

bedlamite

samsmix said:
I haven't been to Gun Broker in years. What is a run of the mill m-94 in 30-30 selling for? I'm interested in a lower price, not a collectable era.

Around here, $300-600 depending on age and condition.

Mystro

A nice pre64 in my area that is in o.k shape is around $450. Nice shooters are around $650. They are getting more rare in Central Pa and this is probably the home of the good old M94. I found a very nice m94 made in 1953 a few years back. It is a shooter and built very well. These are the kind of guns that when you see a nice one at a good price, buy it.

M94combonet.jpg

samsmix

You could go a dozen seasons without seeing a hunter with a 30-30 in wide open Montana. Prices are about the same though. I don't care so much if it has a safety, shoot it could be Mossbergs knock-off if it handles good and it'll shoot into 2.5" or so.

I'd prefer a "worn in" M-94 though.

Gonna re-thread this so I'm not hijacking.