winchester 94 or marlin 336

FALPhil

I have both. The Marlin feels more solid. The Winchester has slightly better balance. It is six of one, half a dozen of the other.

jmr40

Each has their advantages. Over the years Marlins have been consistently very good. Winchesters quality has been all over the place, but if you have a good one, they are every bit the equal of the Marlin. Generally the Winchesters tend to be a little lighter, the Marlins have the advantage of side ejection if you want to mount a scope. If not, that does not matter.

If I had a good Winchester, I wouldn't let it go to buy a Marlin. If you just want to buy a 2nd rifle, I think the odds of getting a good one are a little better going with the Marlin. Especially in the used market.

This is my favorite and the best of both designs. A 1973 Marlin when they made them with a lot less wood in the forend and a lot less weight.

006-3.jpg

R.Lynn

I have both. My winchester is older pre-64 given to me by my uncle. He loves them and has a large collection. I baught the 336 because I liked the winchester but wanted a scope. Now I think the 336 maybe my favorite in looks and shooting. It's awesome.

Keg

This is my favorite and the best of both designs. A 1973 Marlin when they made them with a lot less wood in the forend and a lot less weight.

Jmr40...that is a Texan model....I have one from 1970.....My SIL has one from '78....My favorite Marlin....

I have a couple pre-64 Winchesters and a USRAC trapper model....I like em all....

L_Killkenny

You already have a Winchester..... zero, none, nada reason to get a Marlin. Maybe not entirely true, if you have a pe-AE Winchester and want a scope than that doesn't apply but other than that?????

The Winchester feels/handles like a carbine should, the Marlin more rifle like. Little heavier, little chunkier, a Marlins have that dang pistol grip stock.

Hawg

I'd keep the Winchester. The Marlins are good but the 336 is ugly and the pistol grip doesn't help it any.

ThomasT

I have had several of both and prefer the Marlin. But only by a little. The Winchester feels better because its lighter and slimmer. If you want to scope it the marlin is the best bet. The marlin may be slightly more accurate. Maybe. Either one is accurate enough for open sighted shots at deer out to a hundred yards. Most deer are shot closer anyway.

I wish I hadn't sold the last winchester I had. It was a post 64 but was well made and fairly tight with no freckles on the reciever. I just bought an AR and as much as I like it I would sell it way before I sold my last 30-30.

As far as the pistol grip goes it doesn't make me any difference. I have a 32, 357, and 44 mag marlins with the straight grips and I never notice when switching around holding them.

stu925

Keep the Winchester especially if it's pre '64 but buy a 336 in addition to it. You didn't day what your 94 is chambered for but I imagine it's .30 WCF, if that's the case look for a .35 Rem 336. If the Winchester isn't .30 WCF then get the 336 chambered in that.

Stu

Guv

To clean a Marlin from the breech, remove one screw!
Clean a Winchester 94 from the breech.................:eek:

jimbob86

The Marlin feels more solid. The Winchester has slightly better balance.

The Winchester felt flimsy to me- even light recoiling cartridges like 30/30 would kick the hell out of kids, one of those, methinks.

L_Killkenny

To clean a Marlin from the breech, remove one screw!
Clean a Winchester 94 from the breech.................

And before the internet????????? No one gave a crap for 100 years. Cleaning guns from the muzzle isn't a death nail.

Guv

Guns were getting the barrels damaged by improper cleaning methods long before the internet! I'll bet some did give a crap.

Hawg

Guns were getting the barrels damaged by improper cleaning methods long before the internet! I'll bet some did give a crap.

I've cleaned a butt load of guns from the muzzle and never messed one up. I've used every kind of cleaning rod imaginable, wood, aluminum, fiberglass all the so called bad stuff.

mr.t7024

U.S. Marine’s Scathing Response to Sen. Feinstein’s Gun Control Proposal: ‘I Am Not

Shoulder them both and or flip a coin.:)Cliff

Strafer Gott

My Marlins are rimfires. The 80's model is as heavy as a 336. The "D" model is much more like a Winchester 94. I use that model, and my 1960 model 94 in the irons. The model 39A Marlin is scoped with a 4 power, but for a scoped lever action, I have a 300 Savage with a 3-9x. That gun has quite a bit more reach than the model 94 .30-.30.