Winchester 94 or Marlin 336?

bigkrackers

I'm looking at either in 30-30 and have found both at a LGS. They have 2 used Marlins with scopes and a used Winchester with iron sites. None have safeties and each are in good condition; no rust and light wear on the stocks. One was made in 1975 (SN 2515xxxx) so I think thats 75 right? The other SN starts with AD so that puts it in1968. The SN is under the lever on the tang. The 94 was made in 1976. The 30-30 Marline is $400 and the 35rem is $500. The Win94 is $500.

So, my first question is a price check on these. Second question is which one? I'm going to use whatever gun I get for a little deer hunting. I have experience with 30-30 but nothin with 35rem.

oneounceload

NONE have safeties? really?

As to pricing - if ti seems good to you, in YOUR area, then it is a good deal, no matter who comes on here from somewhere else and says how they can get them for half that. (there's always one or two of these magical price finding folks)

Look at your LGS ammo supply - does he carry 35 Rem? and how does it compare to his prices for 30-30? are you a reloader?. If not, then the 30-30 is probably more economical in that regard.

Personally, I'd go with the Marlin and a scope (assuming the scope isn't broken), over a gun without one

Pick the one YOU like best

markj

None have safeties
That winchester has a safety under the lever, it has to be squeezed tite or it will not shoot. I bought one for 50.00 off a guy said it was broke and would not fire... lol

get the winchester the other was a bit cheaper new it should be like 350 or so for the 336 IMHO.

Bamashooter

Older versions of either one would be a good choice. The newer marlins have some QC issues from what I hear. Find a nice older one of your choice and I think you will be happy.

hornetguy

IIRC, the Winchesters being made in the 70's were notoriously roughly built. Actions were very rough, clunky, just poorly made. My brother had an Illinois Sesquicentennial made about that time, and it was VERY difficult to cycle.. like the action had gravel in it. Accuracy was only so-so...

I'd get one of the Marlins..

Charlie98

I would lean toward one of the Marlins as well. I have a 336 and it's a fine weapon, and more versatile with the solid top receiver.

I have a Winchester Trapper in .45 Colt (slightly different action than a '94) and the action isn't anywhere near as smooth as my 336 or my 1894.

I would also opt for the .30-30, unless you handload.

PawPaw

I'd lean toward a Marlin myself if I were in the market for a .30-30 or .35 Rem levergun. I've got a couple of '70s era Winchester 94s and while they're fine rifles, they don't have the easy ability to be scoped.

badlander

The Marlin is Easier to scope, Clean, and work on. One screw takes out everything you need to clean from the breech. Try that with A Winnie.

bamaranger

marlin

Much as I like the history and romance of the Win. its the Marlin for me.

+1 to the one screw, breech clean comments

PetahW

I'd opt for the .35 Marlin 336, and hope it's the 1968..........

IMHO, either $400 or $500 is a tad too strong to pay for one, even in pristine condition.

$300-$350 would be more like it - which is how much cash I'd lay on the gunhop owner, and ask him if you have a deal.

Remember - money talks, BS walks.

Big Shrek

I'd haggle a bit, seems the store is very proud of their merchandise...
Unless in 90% or better condition, hagglin down about $100 would be appropriate.

Most lever-actions only had half-cock & lever safeties until farking liberals forced those bloody awful Cross-Bolt safeties on Marlin.
Most older folks have a gunsmith take out the CB safety and replace it with a saddle ring...
the only safety one needs on a lever-action is their BRAIN...

Marlin 336 all the way...and I LOVE Creedmore-style peep sights on 'em :D
Being able to easily scope 'em is the reason Marlin is still making levers...and Winchesters are made in Japan now...

mes228

Marlin

I prefer the Marlin. I've been looking a long time for a clean one in the Sporting Rifle configuration with the 24" barrel. I finally found a very good one and I'm tickled pink! Haven't shot it yet. The rifle looks like no one has fired it very much. Made in 1951 and seems to be very good quality. Anyone here have one? Any info or comments appreciated.

Maxem0815

Go for the Marlin better gun I have a full collection of Lever guns Winchester, Marlin, Colt, Rossi, Uberti, and Henry. Go for the Marlin price is about right has a scope if the scope is trash it has mounts so get a new scope. Marlin action is smoother than late 70's Winchesters. .35 Rem. good all round caliber so is the 30-30 depends on your preference.
Mace

oneoldsap

I'd go with the Marlin in .35 Rem. , although the price is a little steep . I have one for sale with a K4.5W Weaver on it for $400.00 , it was made in 76 .

ronto

At least in my area, both are priced way too high for a used gun...You can get a new 336 for less. I bought mine new in 2006 and have had no trouble whatsoever...As far as caliber, you can't go wrong with 30-30...effective, relatively cheap, and available just about every where.

L_Killkenny

IMO, they are asking a little too much for all three guns. But then again, they are there to make money not supply us all with great deals. The Winchesters made in the 70's worked fined but had crap receivers that tended to rust bad and I'd say the Marlins of that era are better. That being said I like the feel of the Winchesters better. And that being said, my eyes aren't what they used to be and a scope is a great thing.

SO as much as I love the Winchesters I'd have to go with the Marlin in this case. But try to get him down another $50 or more. Preferably $100.

Unless you are hardcore hunter and this is gonna be mainly a hunting rig stay with the .30-30. It will do everything that needs doing, maybe not as well as the .35 rem, and it will do it cheaper with easier to find ammo.

LK

Hawg

I think he meant no crossbolt safety. I prefer the older Winchester top eject. A scope doesn't belong on a lever gun anyway. I have a 94 made in 79 and there's nothing rough or gravelly about the action. It's not the prettiest girl at the dance but it's dead nuts accurate.