Winchester 94 or Marlin 336?

Mute

I've decided to get a lever action 30-30 as a truck rifle. Probably pick it up this weekend. What are the pros and cons of these 2 models in terms of function? Price wise, I can get either one, brand new, for under $300.

I have both - though the Winchester in 45 Colt, the Marlin in 30-30. The Marlin has better finish (and perhaps quality - and the micro-groove rifling is very accurate); considerably heavier. I prefer the Winchester thoug - probably because of the caliber, which is not the issue here (I wouldn't hunt with the 45, having the thurty-thurty but its a good trail gun with my Ruger Vaquero in the same cal. - my horse says so anyway :))

Mal H

Staff
Elchimango,
So you're a true Vaquero, eh? I'd love to see that - "Elchimango rides hell-bent-for-leather out on the Pampas with sixgun blazing!" Sounds like a script in a movie. Are the gun laws in Silverland restrictive or liberal?

Rosco Benson

The Winchester is a bit more compact (markedly so if you choose the 16" Trapper model). The Marlin is MUCH easier to detail strip (not that you'll need to very often).

Both call out for better sights (but NOT optical sights). Mount a Williams Foolproof or Ashley aperture sight and you have a nice piece with either maker's rifle.

Rosco