Winchester 94 issue

kfb2b

I have a post-64 Winchester 94 on which the lever sticks badly as you start to open the gun. If you cock the hammer first, it works fine. I have tried removing the buttstock and cleaning the gun, both of which did not good. there seems to be something up with the relation of the bolt to the hammer, as it starts to come back and the lever is maybe 1/4 the way down. Ther isn't any peening that I can easily see. What is up? Anyone ever have this problema dn if so, what did ya do about it?

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you don't find resistance when cocking the hammer manually, I don't know what the problem is. I can only suggest working the lever with the stock off and seeing if you can see anything binding.

Jim

Scorch

I saw a similar problem once in a 94. When the lug dropped down, the hammer would drop forward slightly and the nose of the hammer spring would bind under the hammer. Try this: put your finger on the hammer and open the lever. If the hammer drops forward, take it to a smith and have him remove the stock and inspect the hammer spring.