Winchester 70

PTS1

Help! Wally world has a 7mm mag Winchester model 70 on clearence for $375. It is the black shadow with the cheap stock and matte finish with a simmons scope. Do you think it is worth getting and swaping out the stock for a B&C or H-S and swaping the scope for a VXIII. Entire package would still be under a grand. Already have a vanguard sub-moa in 270WSM but, do not own a winchester. What do yall think?

Wildalaska

If its a CRF worth it just for the action.

Winchesters should be back within 18 months.

WildandihatetotootmyhornbutiamusuallyrightabouthttastuffAlaska

p99guy

its only due to a union condition that M70's and M94's arent in production at the moment....they made it a condition that these firearms couldnt be produced for 2 years after the New Haven plant was shut down. Sometime in 2008 that condition lapses. All the machinery is in Arnold Missouri at the Browning/FN facility there. FN uses the M70 action in 2 variations in production of its long range Police Rifles (SPR and PBR, PBR XP series) the SPR and PBR XP are controlled round feed AKA "Pre64" configuration

And the FN police pump shotgun is a variant of the Winchester 1300 action.

These will be back in production.

the massive extractor claw of the FN SPR(M70)..as the cartridge raises from the magazine , the rim slides up underneith the claw....hense controlled round feed(it will work up side down!) other designs push the cartridge out of the magazine and the extractor claw is pushed up over the rim at the last moment upon almost complete closing of the bolt.(up side down the cartridge will simply fall out of the rifle.) You say..now what would that ever matter to anyone? Well if you were about to be mauled by a bear your rifle might not be
upright when you crank another round in...if the catridge falls out (you are well on your way to being lunch)

20070529028ow4.jpg

onemsumba

push round feed works upside down as well. My Rem 700 30'06 feeds just fine upside down.

where it comes into play is that you can double feed a non crf rifle and end up with a big old mess...

mudstud

PTS1,
The Wally World Model 70's are what Winchester calls CRPF, controlled round push feed, essentially a push feed bolt that has been modified to function like a controlled round feed. There is nothing at all wrong with this concept. But, they were designed to be a low cost alternative to the higher priced CRF Classic action, which is a "true" CRF, with the massive claw extractor.

If you are interested in this rifle, heck, man, buy it! Shoot it first, before you do anything. If it looks like it is a decent shooter, and functions OK, then the first thing I would do is discard the undesirable Simmons scope and whatever rings and bases are on it, with something decent, whatever you prefer. If you still like the rifle, then you might consider upgrading the stock, or whatever else.

Happy Shooting!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat White Boy

I bought a Model 70 in .270 Black Shadow from Walmart a few years ago and my son bought one in .300 Win Mag. Mine shoots clover leafs with stock Corelokt 130gr ammo. I did take off the Simmons and put a 3-9X40 Nikon on it. I have killed a lot of wild boar with it!.

joshua

controlled round feed(it will work up side down!) other designs push the cartridge out of the magazine and the extractor claw is pushed up over the rim at the last moment upon almost complete closing of the bolt.(up side down the cartridge will simply fall out of the rifle.) You say..now what would that ever matter to anyone? Well if you were about to be mauled by a bear your rifle might not be
upright when you crank another round in...if the catridge falls out (you are well on your way to being lunch)
:D

LOL! I bet you that more than 50% of pushfeed type bolt action rifles owners that read this will be trying to feed their rifles upside down. :D

My PSS will feed upside down, both side/side ways and pointing straight up. If the magazine is tuned correctly there should be no problem. josh

PTS1

Well I went back and took a closer look at the rifle. The rifle was very dirty (inside the chamber and barrel) and seemed as if it was used. The salesperson assured me wal mart does not sell used rifles and has a no return policy on them. It was a CRPF but the trigger was crisp (though heavy) so I said what the heck for $375 and bought it. Gave it a good cleaning and the barrel looks nice and shiny. From the looks of the box, must have been in storage a long time. Gonna take it out in a few days and see how it shoots. Do you think if it shoots clover leaves as it, as has happened with some of you, do you think changing the stock will affect it?

mudstud

PTS1,
I sure hope your rifle shoots cloverleafs, but I wouldn't expect it, with any sporter rifle! A lot of the high dollar custom built beanfield type rifles won't shoot that good! :D

I always have a trigger job done on my rifles before shooting, no matter what, but it isn't mandatory, if the trigger seems acceptable, you can have that done later. One thing I would do, before shooting, is check to make sure all the screws are tight on the scope mounts, I've heard of the mounts being loose on these type of package deals. Also be sure the guard screws are tight.

Interesting to hear how your rifle was very dirty. The dirtiest new firearm I ever purchased, was a brand new Colt Gold Cup stainless steel. I think it was the very first SS Gold Cup in the state. That gun was absolutely filthy. I went back to the that dealer and ripped his a$$ but good. He swore up and down that they hadn't taken my new gun out to the range and shot the heck out of it before I bought it! Actually, most, if not all, new guns are test fired at the factory, so there really is no such thing as an unfired NIB gun. Some, however, are apparently shot quite a bit at the factory, before they are shipped. I always clean the bore on any firearm before shooting it, and grease the back of the locking lugs and the cocking cam. Good luck!

joshua

Most guns are funtion fired and proofed prior to shipment, so you'll see carbon fouling in the bore with most guns. You Win70 should do alright with accuracy, don't expect benchrest accuracy, but you'll never know how it shoots until that time. I had a Win70 Ranger that will do moa and better after it was bedded and the barrel free floated. With Win 70 action the outside screws that hold the action must be tight and the center screw just tight enough to it doesn't spin loose. Loctite it! I have gotten very good accuracy when I tighten the action screws in such a manner, my HBV will do moa all day and .4 are easy to get. josh

Alleykat

Whether it's push feed or controlled feed, that's a good price on a good rifle. The most accurate rifles in the world don't use controlled feed, and, since some of them are in the hands of military and l.e. snipers, I suppose thattheiropinionsareprobablymorevaluablethansomebodywhowriteslikethis. :D

Wildalaska

thattheiropinionsareprobablymorevaluablethansomebodywhowriteslikethis.

Well I suppose young feller that that gibe was directed at me.

Reading comprehension 101.....and how to study 102

Post above...Did I say that CRFs are more accurate ? I dont think so...I only said that at the price, if it was CRF it was worth it just for the action...

Do you wish to debate with me the relative VALUES of Winchester CRF actions vis a vis others? How many have you sold in the past 10 years?

And not that its relevant to my original point, but since you have made an assertion about military and snipers in an attempt to devalue what I have to say, lets discuss:

1. What did Carlos Hathcock Use?
2. What type of Action does the High Grade FN sniper rifle use?

So have a nice day

WildheyimjustanidiotwhatdoiknowAlaska

joshua

FN and Mauser actions with CRF can be built to a tactical precision rifle. When I was asking around what bolt action rifle is the best for competition, 95% would say Remington, the other 5% will be mostly Winchester 70 since Savage was not very much in the scence back then, :rolleyes: Yup so, so many years ago. If you think about it, with the Remington built on cylindrical form and with all the aftermarket parts available to it, it is a no brainer. The most important part of the rifle when it comes to accuracy is barrel and ammo. josh

mudstud

IMHO, it's not relevant what stool shooters, snipers, or any other kind of competition shooters prefer to shoot, when the discussion is about a sporting rifle (ie: a HUNTING rifle). YMMV. :D

gak

I have had a "black" Winchester .270 for several years - a pawn shop purchase in like-new condition: Winchester logo/checkered stock, matte black metal finish, no floor plate and Simmons scope. Always suspected it was a "package" rifle from the likes of Wallyworld or K-Mart etc. But, it is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. A real tack driver. Still haven't replaced the cheap Simmons scope even, though the rifle probably deserves better. A great hunter, durable, and a bargain for what I paid for it (not much). The beauty of it is that if it gets banged up - and after some "non-baby'ing" usage is holding up fine - there won't be any (well many) tears...like a nice Featherweight Classic might cause you.