Winchester .45 ACP 230gr JHP "WWB" in Vyse Ballistics Gel

5pins

20200619_113543-e1592585608737.jpg

Test Gun: Colt 1911 Government, Defender.
Barrel length: 5 and 3 inches.
Ammunition: Winchester .45 ACP 230gr JHP.
Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel, Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 852fps, 770fps
BB Calibration: 3.5 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/06/23/winchester-45acp-230gr-jhp-in-vyse-ballistics-gel/

ocharry

they also make some called ,," personal protection "

could be the same round in a different box,,,but it feeds very well and preforms very well in all of my 45's

this stuff is a winner in my book,,,,its what i carry,,,i dont think performance wise it gets much better,,,,especially for the money

ocharrry

TruthTellers

WWB is my preferred hollow point ammo for semi auto calibers 9mm and larger. It works, it's cheap, it's available nearly everywhere.

I've yet to find a Winchester hollow point ammo that doesn't expand. That said, their .357 Magnum stuff seems like it's all loaded light.

44caliberkid

I have half a box sitting with the other good ammo. The WWB 44 Magnum 240 gr. JSP or HP, that they used to sell at Walmart always shot well in the Desert Eagle.

Hal

WWB is my preferred hollow point ammo for semi auto calibers 9mm and larger. It works, it's cheap, it's available nearly everywhere.
WWB is range fodder. It lacks a cannelure on the case to aid in preventing bullet setback.
I consider that feature a key aspect of any serious defensive ammunition I carry for that purpose.
YYMV on that...

TruthTellers

WWB is range fodder. It lacks a cannelure on the case to aid in preventing bullet setback.
I consider that feature a key aspect of any serious defensive ammunition I carry for that purpose.
YYMV on that...
I guess the trillions of rounds of pistol ammo that have been made the past 120 years for use in war by militaries all over the world that lacked a cannalure wasn't "serious" ammo, was it? Better not tell that to the vets who swear by the 1911 and .45 hardball.

Thanks for the write-up. I am especially interested to see that this stuff still expands when shot through a 3-inch barrel. That's important information.

Hal

I guess the trillions of rounds of pistol ammo that have been made the past 120 years for use in war by militaries all over the world that lacked a cannalure wasn't "serious" ammo, was it? Better not tell that to the vets who swear by the 1911 and .45 hardball.
Ever see any .45acp surplus hardball?
My guess would be not - since a lot of did have a cannelure.
Besides - military use is different. Ammo is loaded once and fired.

Many, if not most, civilian defense ammo gets loaded and unloaded repeatedly.

Oops - I forgot - quite a bit of military .45 acp ball also used a sealant on both primers and case mouths - to seal them against moisture. The sealant would also aid in holding the bullet in the case mouth.

Last edited:
Hal, I carry a 1911 in .45 ACP. I have partial boxes of several brands of premium, self defense, JHP ammo hare. I don'y recall ever seeing any with a cannelure. Which brands do you think have it?

Hal

Federal Hydra Shok.

Or - you can always do like this guy & do it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBEjpiI5zFg

Cor Bon is another.

Actually - there's all different brands that cannelure SD brass.
All you have to do is look.

A cannelure is put on the brass to help prevent bullet setback. The military required it at one time - even on the .38 special.

Last edited:
Hal said:
A cannelure is put on the brass to help prevent bullet setback. The military required it at one time - even on the .38 special.
A cannelure is meaningless in a round that has a taper crimp. The military used it when they issued revolvers, and ammo was roll crimped. The cannelure allowed the mouth of the case to be rolled into the bullet. It didn't prevent bullet setback, it helped alleviate bullet set-forward.

Hal

Correct 1911_hardball - That is exactly what I mentioned above from the get-go.

A cannelure is meaningless in a round that has a taper crimp. The military used it when they issued revolvers, and ammo was roll crimped.
The military also used it - (much to the annoyance of Phil Sharpe) on the .45 acp case from it's inception.

Despite his stature in the gun wold - I have to disagree with him on a cannelured case.
Just for the heck of it, I also disagree with him about a hollow point being useless....but, to each their own.

gnystrom

You might be missing the difference between fighting on a battlefield and following a home break-in, shooting through five layers of sheetrock into your kids bedroom.