Winchester 270 WSM

Tanzer

I'm a handgun guy and (almost) never do anything on a whim, But I've wanted a high-powered rifle for some time to shoot on my land in Maine. I know there were a lot of choices out there, including ones that shoot easier to find rounds. I couldn't help myself. I held about six rifles and this model 70 WSM just seemed like a puppy at the pound. I had to have it. Everything felt right, and the price was right.
Next thing I knew I was loading expensive ammo into it and shooting at an old box with a paper target taped onto it. The recoil was more than I expected, and the scope punched me in the nose on the first shot. YEAH! And the bullet went right through a 5" tree stump OH YEAH!
I don't know if it's popular among the rifle crowd, but it's my baby now.
Any Ideas on reloading with a Dillon press? I'm familiar with reloading, but I'd like to keep my house, and cartriges are expensive. Any ideas on cheaper factory loads for practice? Please don't bother commenting on the gun (unless it's favorable), I have no plans on selling it. I love it no matter what.
Thanks in advance.

FirstFreedom

Good rifle. Good round - excellent very-long-range round; arguably the best long-range round for game up to moose-sized. I mean over 300 yards. Sounds like a winner to me. Doubt you're gonna find cheap ammo. You may want to take up reloading if you're going to shoot a lot, to save money.

hoghunting

You picked a very good cartridge. I highly recommend reloading as it is cheaper, and you will probably find it's much more accurate. The WSMs have a few quirks in reloading that many other cartridges don't have. You might want to check www.netrifle.com and visit the sections in reloading for the WSMs.

arizona hunter

Congratulations on finding a rifle that you love. It is a great round.:)

As for reloading, what I do with my big game rifles is choose two bullets; one is for actual hunting, and the second is for plinking milk jugs and laundry detergent bottles. But, both are the same bullet weight, but the plinking load is loaded a little slower.

For a big game bullet-if you plan to hunt with it- go with a Barnes Triple Shock, Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond or Swift A-Frame (plus others). For general shooting just buy the least expensive 150 gr. (or your preference) from Rem, Speer, Hornady or Sierra and use them as your practice round.

Have fun !

OKEE

270 Wsm

I have a 270 wsm and a 300 wsm both are savages love them both
and they are both very accurate for the 270 the 130 grain bullets are the best in balistics. With the price of factory ammo I don,t see how any one can do very much target shooting at $45.00 and $50.00 a box.
Reloading isn't very cheap either any more. now I'm going to tell you how long I have been reloading when gas was 10 and 12 cents a gallon you could reload a box of 30-06 for 2 dollars or less. A buddy of mine and I used to buy milt. ammo at the army supplus store for $1.00 a box and they were 147 gr. ap's too.
I know you will love your 270 wsm too.
Have fun