Winchester 244?

I've been using Winchester 231 for both .45 ACP and 9mm for a couple of decades. I still have some -- probably enough for my needs, but not a surplus in today's market. A friend who is just getting into reloading (starting with 9mm) decided he wanted to try Winchester 231, but neither he nor I can find any. Unfortunately, I don't feel that I have enough to give him a pound, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I let my fingers do the walking today, and found a shop on the other side of town that says they have some Winchester 244, but no W231. The Hodgdon web site lists W244 for both 9mm and .45 ACP, so it's a candidate. Has anyone used W244 in 9mm? If so, how does it perform in real life?

Better yet, has anyone used both W231 and W244? If so, how do they compare?

No experience, and it hasn't made the Hodgdon relative burn rate chart yet. Interesting that the Hodgdon load data sometimes has its charge weight heavier and sometimes lower than 231. Same with final velocities. It must be in the ballpark of a similar burn rate but have a different curve shape. It's hard to say, as the 231 data is by copper crusher and the 244 data is by a transducer, and the latter can sometimes reveal things not evident with the crusher so that back and forth may also just be an instrument artifact. Anyway, it seems to be no slower than, say, Unique, so I don't think your friend will get hurt trying it.

Time for me to download a newer copy. Thanks!

It's close enough on that chart that it's relative position can easily vary with the cartridge and bullet combination, as it does in the data. So, no magic after all.

jetav8r

I have been using W-244 fro about a year in 357 Mag and like it a lot. It meters well and should work well for you.