Winchester 190 Unique Action?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I had noted and was fond of the larger gap 'tween barrel and mag tube. I have cleaned it fully and it wasn't until reassembly the second time that I realized why the tube was lower...

This thing is built like a "tube loaded box mag" semi-auto .22...

The top of the trigger group contains the notched stampings of the top of a box mag and it has a straight up pushing spring and base...

This rifle is shooting straight enuff and has suffered ZERO failures to feed or eject...

One safety note I had to learn is that this rifle is not a simple, single cycle to clear weapon to unloaded safe condition..

After turning it down and dumping the mag tube, I then cleared 3 rounds.

So I reloaded it, cycled it to fill chamber then proceeded to clear it again and this time was more determined as I dumped tube... This time and each time after I have 2 rounds to clear. Seems one is in the "box mag" position and the other has fully or partially left the mag tube and awaits placement in the box mag position...

Am I describing this clearly?

Brent

Doyle

Mine doesn't have a large gap between the barrel and tube. Maybe mine is from a different year group and there was a design change along the way.

TX Hunter

Hogdogs

I understand what your saying, Ive got an old Winchester pump .22 thats like that its a Model 270 Pump, with an old Weaver K4 tough gun.
But mine is like the one you have, when you dump the magazine tube, you have to pump two rounds through the action to clear the weapon.
I use this .22 pump when Im Coonhunting with my Hounds, and its been a very reliable and dosent jam.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
As for the gap, it ain't massive but tube isn't nearly touching the barrel as on most semi-auto .22 rifles I have handled...

A .22 round nearly fits in the gap but not quite...

This is the first gun I have owned that consistently has 2 rounds not in the magazine and not in the chamber...

Brent