Winchester 1897

big_ed

I recently aquired a Winchester 1897, it appears to be a riot shotgun with a poly choke installed the barrel is marked 12 ga. 2 3/4 CYL. It shows very minor wear, retains much of the blueing, and none of the screw heads appear to have ever been touched. S/N 928*** (@1947), with an E prefix just above.

The questions I have are what is the approx. worth and would it benefit to have the poly choke removed and a bead reinstalled.

drcook

Pokychokes actually work. I just got an Ithaca 37 with one on it, it is going to be my wife's turkey gun as it has a shorter barrel which will be just fine for her.

One possibility if you remove the polychoke is that you will simply have a cylinder bore (no choke left).

I would try it before removing it. You might find you actually like it.

Scorch

The cowboy action shooters are pretty fond of 1897s. They have driven the prices up to where a fair specimen can go for $600-ish. Got one in the shop the other day like yours, cyl bore but no PolyChoke. It's a nice enough gun, if you can learn to hold the grip area tight when you pump the action (otherwise you will bleed). I would prefer a Model 12.

PetahW

big ed said:
the barrel is marked 12 ga. 2 3/4 CYL.

The barrel has a factory choke designation stamped into it.

IMO the PolyChoke is an aftermarket addition on that particular Winchester because, AFAIK, guns/barrels with factory-installed compensators were usually Cutts, but even if a PolyChoke was used, no choke designation (CYL) would have been stamped into the bbl.

Soooooo, removing the PolyChoke & re-installing the proper bead front sight should restore it to the way it left the factory (provided the bbl hasn't been shortened, etc) - a cylinder-choked shotgun.

big_ed

I measured the barrel from the bolt face, it measures @ 22" to the end of the Poly-choke and slightly more than 20" to what looks like the end of the barrel.

How are poly chokes installed? Silver soldered?

Attachments

• bailee032813 014.jpg
    bailee032813 014.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 23

PetahW

Polychokes are usually mounted by threading, or solder/braze, or both (in some cases).

I would expect a long-recoil gun installation to use both to secure a Polychoke, but not a pump like yours.