Winchester 1895 Slab-Side Carbine

warhwkbb

I just purchased a Winchester 1895 slabside carbine (not a saddle-ring). For the life of me I cannot find any other slabside carbines listed anywhere. Serial says it was made in 1896. I paid $1900 for it. What did I just buy?

Scorch

Sounds like you got a peach, an early 1895. The early 1895s were slab sides, the scalloped receivers came out later. I lke the scalloped receivers myself, but you got a good price on a desirable gun. What chambering?

warhwkbb

Without purchasing some pricey documentation, I can't seem to find the number of slab-side 1895's manufactured as carbines.
One unconfirmed source mentioned that approximately 13% of the first 60K 1895's were carbines. This would put this gun at around 1 in 500 if true with the Type 1's. It's chambered in 30-40.

I'm sure I overpaid for it as the original bluing is only about 5% and it has an aftermarket Redfield sight, but I was in the market and had the cash. I have a Blue Book of Guns on the way, but I'm not very optimistic. I probably should have purchased one of the 1895 specific books instead.

Attachments

• 1895 pic.jpg
    1895 pic.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 103