WInchester 1895 in 30-40

dodge

As some of you may know I recently inherited a Model 95 in 30-40 Krag from my father. When I recieved it I also got a few rounds of FMJ ammo. On the ammo is "PETERS" 30 U.S.G. and what I am wondering if these are worth anything or if someone can point in the right direction to a website that I can post to find out. I recently took it to the range and with some Remington 180 gr pointed soft point I shot a 3 shot group of about 2" with two of these touching each other. This was after shooting a few rounds trying to get it sighted in. I probably pulled the one shot that opened the group as with a steel buttplate the rifle let's you know when you touch it off. As I get use to shooting peepsights again I hope to get even better with it . I just bought some loading dies for it but haven't got a chance to shoot any handloads yet to see what they will do I hope to this weekend though and will post as to the results. I tring 48 gr, of H4831 behind a Hornady 165 gr. spitzer as this is what I have on hand from loading my 30-06. When I'm able to I'm going to try some 4350 and a 180 gr. bullet as from what I have read IMR 4350 is the powder to use.

You're asking the value of the old Peters rounds?

No more than $2.50 a piece, if that much.

Nothing really special about them. I've got one in my ammo collection.

Probably loaded prior to WW I.

Now, if you had the complete, unopened box, that would be a different story. Then we'd be talking closer to $100 to $125 or so for one in really good shape.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
For "just-fun" plinking, try 20 grains of 2400 with any old bullet that's handy. Painless, with that steel butt plate.

:), Art

WIL TERRY

OH LORDY I DO LOVE THE KRAG SO...MINE DO

right well with IMR4350 but H414 has been outstanding in the two 30/40's with 180gr Herter bullets.
Both the '98 carbine and the '95 Browning have shot far better than I thought possible with H414 powder.
When push comes to shove though I do believe a KRAG ain't a KRAG without 220gr RN bullets summoned for delivery duties.

dodge

I finally got my dies and loaded some loads. One was 48 gr. of H4831 with Hornady 165 gr fired by a CCI 200 large rifle primer the other load was 45.5 gr. of IMR 4350 and a 180 gr. Sierra spitzer fired by the same primer. Through my chrony the 165 gr. load clocked at 2030 and the 180 gr clocked at 2250. The 165 gr load went about 3" group at 100 yards and the 180 gr which I shot for group after shooting about 30 rounds went into 3" at 100 but of the 3 shots 2 was about 1/2" apart and I pulled the third out to the 3" mark. The 165 gr load was about 6" to the left but centered vertically and the 180 gr about 6" lower but centered horizonally. The 165 gr load left some unburnt powder but the 180 gr seems to burn cleanly. I think that I'm going to stick with the 180 gr load and get more practice with it and see if I can get that third shot in with the other two. To help with bench shooting this rifle I found a slip on rubber recoil pad that I had stuck away but when using the rifle for hunting that pad will be gone as I don't see shooting anymore than once or twice and with hunting clothes on this will give me some padding anyway.

Dodge,

Original loads for the .30-40 were a 220-gr. round nosed bullet.

It's likely that the rifling on your Model 95 is set for use with heavier bullets, so the 165s may not give you the best accuracy.

Tom Matiska

Didn't the Krags and '95s used the same 1-10" twist common to 30-06 & 308? As far as vintage FMJ ammo, I'd assume corrosive primers and err on the side of cleaning thoroughly.

Tom