Winchester 1892 identification (pics)

nadrepadre

So I'm visiting my father and found an old winchester lever gun. He told me his father gave it to him and he's not entirely sure where it came from. I was able to determine that it's an 1892 winchester made in 1894. It's covered in surface rust and I wanted to smack my dad upside the head for not taking care of it:mad:.

I noticed on the stock it says C.P.&CO. Any idea what company this might have been to issue these rifles?
SDazFPjh.jpg

BGjDl3Wh.jpg

kefCUPRh.jpg

qbHf4YYh.jpg

xkX0FMBh.jpg

Scorch

Probably not so much "issue these rifles", but many companies had armed guards or security officers that were allowed to use the arms when need arose (riots, strikes, etc). Many companies divested themselves of weapons and guards back in the WW2 period, hired private guard companies and sold off their weapons. Interesting. Nice old rifle. Where did your grandfather live and work?

eastbank

i would like to find that rifle under my christmas tree. my favorit 44-40 is a model 53 solid frame 1892.eastbank.

Guv

nadrepadre,
Don't be so hard on your Dad. That gun was probably more of a tool than anything else and may have accumulated some of that light rust before he got it. Nice pictures of a nice old Winchester, a real piece of American History.

2bit

Hello,

That receiver was actually serialized on the 29th of March 1897. The rifle was fully assembled and entered the warehouse on April 7, 1897 and was shipped out (sold) on aug 18 of the same year. It appears to be 100% original and unaltered with the exception of the sling attached to it. All of the stamped writing on the rifle is the correct style for its serial number range. The wood has not been sanded or refinished.

I am working on a research survey of the Model 1892 rifles and have added this one into my data. Can you tell me if the front sight has a small set screw in the base of it on the right side?

Thanks
Michael