Winchester 124 gr. NATO 9mm at Cabela's

Slimjim9

Ok, I'll be the dufus too lazy to use the search function. What makes a 9mm cartridge "NATO" and why would I use it over a non-NATO (I.e every other round I've ever used) round?

mete

The story is that NATO 9mm was used in SMGs and had higher pressure .Exact numbers ? I don't know .For anyone needing a defense load, bullet design will be more important .If itis higher pressure wear and tear on the gun is a factor .

Fishbed77

The story is that NATO 9mm was used in SMGs and had higher pressure .

Not necessarily. Special higher-pressure rounds for SMGs were manufactured, but NATO 9mm is standardized per STANAG 4090.

Per Wikipedia:

The 9mm cartridge has been manufactured by, or for, more than 70 different countries and has become a standard pistol caliber for NATO and other military forces around the world. Its official nomenclature among NATO members is "NATO 9mm".[22] Standard bullet weight is 7.0 grams (108 gr) to 8.3 grams (128 gr).

NATO 9mm can be considered an overpressure variant of the 9×19mm Parabellum that is defined by NATO standards.[23] The service pressure Pmax of the NATO 9mm is rated at 252 MPa (36,500 psi) where CIP rates the 9mm Luger Pmax somewhat lower at 235 MPa (34,100 psi). The 315 MPa (45,700 psi) proofing test pressure used in the NATO 9mm proof test, however, equals the proofing test pressure used in the 9mm Luger CIP proof test.

While the NATO standards do not specify the type of bullet to be used, Declaration III of the Hague Convention of 1899 prohibits the use of expanding ammunition in warfare by signatories, so official NATO 9mm ammunition is FMJ "ball" bullets.[24] Declaration III does not apply in conflicts involving nonsignatories to the Hague Convention, including paramilitary and other nongovernmental fighting forces.[25]

Most modern service pistols (Glock 17/19, Beretta 92, SIG P266, Walther P99/PPQ, HK USP, CZ75, etc) are designed to fire NATO 9mm, and there is no harm in doing so.

why would I use it over a non-NATO (I.e every other round I've ever used) round

It's often inexpensive and makes good range ammo. It also cycles well in 9mm pistols not designed to feed hollow-point ammunition.

For almost all defensive uses, however, a modern HP loading will serve you better.

It's the 124-grain that makes it NATO spec (along with velocity, of course). Most bulk or plinking-grade 9mm is 115-grain.

It's like the difference between 55-grain and 62-grain ammo in 5.56x45.

JDBerg

Fishbed77: said:
It's often inexpensive and makes good range ammo. It also cycles well in 9mm pistols not designed to feed hollow-point ammunition.

My STI Trojan 9mm 1911 cycles this ammo very well which is why I buy it. I use Wilson Elite Tactical Mags, so it also runs Hornady American Gunner XTP 124 grain +P JHP ammo very well.

carguychris

Fishbed77 said:
Most modern service pistols... are designed to fire NATO 9mm, and there is no harm in doing so.
Correct. If you read the manual for most pistols closely, you'll often find some sort of vague-sounding statement like this:

"The [name of pistol] is designed to safely fire quality 9x19mm ammunition meeting industry standards. Do not use ammunition that is not loaded to industry standards."

9mm NATO is in fact an industry standard, so this sort of statement implicitly endorses its use.

Unless the manual specifically prohibits the use of 9mm NATO, or solely endorses a different set of industry standards (e.g. SAAMI), using 9mm NATO should not void the manufacturer's warranty or service policy.
Aguila Blanca said:
It's the 124-grain that makes it NATO spec (along with velocity, of course). Most bulk or plinking-grade 9mm is 115-grain.
Actually, as FB77 points out above, NATO technically allows 108gr-128gr bullets. In a past thread concerning NATO ammo, there was some discussion of Canadian-surplus 9mm NATO that appeared on the U.S. commercial market about 20 years ago, loaded with 116gr bullets.

9mm NATO ammo made in the USA is typically loaded with 124gr bullets for some obscure reason; I've not seen any published source to back this up, but it's widely surmised that the 124gr bullet is simply a standard U.S. military contract requirement.

T. O'Heir

"...What makes a 9mm cartridge "NATO"..." Mostly because it says so on the box. NATO ammo uses a 124 grain FMJ at about 1120 fps. 9mm NATO marketed ammo is safe for use on any 9mm Parabellum firearm. There is no 9mm NATO pistol and 9mm NATO SMG ammo though.
Mind you, if the case doesn't have the NATO cross it is not NATO standard ammo.