Winchester 100 Carbines

wachtelhund1

My favorite deer rifle is the Winchester 100 carbine in 308 Win. I have a lot of suitable deer rifles but the Winchester 100 carbine is by far my favorite deer rifle. The 100 carbine was made with a plain stock, but many years ago I checkered the stock. I bedded the stock in a four step process and it shoots 1.5" to 2" groups, good enough for white tails in Wisconsin.

Four many years, I wanted a 100 carbine in 243 Win. The ones in very good condition always seemed to bring prices higher than I wanted to pay. This last month I finally purchased a 100 carbine in 243 Win. It was from an estate sale and in excellent condition. It didn't look to be fired much. In fact it had the original firing pin. Winchester had put out a recall on the firing pin in 1990. I called Winchester and gave them the serial number, they said it had not been change. I mailed the original firing pin back to them and they mailed me a new replacement firing pin.

Here is my 100 carbine in 308 Win and 243 Win.

Attachments

• PC020581 (2).JPG
    PC020581 (2).JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 82
  • PC020582 (2).JPG
    PC020582 (2).JPG
    418.8 KB · Views: 66
  • PC020583 (2).JPG
    PC020583 (2).JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 62

wachtelhund1

Very Nice !

I am curious, how is the felt recoil ?
Felt recoil? I assume you are talking about the 308. I never really noticed it not even the when shooting the off a bench. Less than a bolt action, I would think. I have not shot the 243 yet. Just put the new firing pin in it. I will glass bed the action before I shoot it. Requires a four step process for bedding the Winchester 100. Years ago I posted the process here.

I've got some heavy kickers; 330 Dakota (225 gr bullet, 2900 fps), 338 Lapua (250 gr bullet, 2900 fps) and 444 Marlin (280 gr hard cast bullet, 2200 fps); so 308's are mild in the recoil department.

jmr40

I seriously considered one of those as a teenager back in the 1970's. As well as the lever action model 88. An uncle of mine had one. I never got around to buying one and wouldn't pay today's prices. But if I had one, I wouldn't sell it at today's prices either.

bamaranger

very nice

Nice rifle. I have always thought the 88/100 Win's were very handsome pieces.

Also good to know and very interesting that "new" Winchester still is honoring and has the pieces and records for the Model 100 recall.

hps1

Beautiful rifle(s). FIL had a .308 back in the day and it was a great shooter. Wish I had picked it up when he sold it. Not to get personal, but what would be a fair price for one in good condition today; might still be interested in picking one up, especially since Winchester still taking care of the FP issues.

Regards,
hps

wachtelhund1

The carbine models are more expensive than the rifle versions. In good condition $500.00 to $800.00. The Win 234's and Win 284 calibers cost more than the 308 models. And in excellent condition they could cost several hundred dollars more than the ones list in good condition.

I just purchased my Win 100 Carbine in 243 Win for $1100.00 in a GB auction. I was happy because I was prepared to go higher.

I just like them. They look and shoot good. They carry well in the woods and field. I built an AR 6.5 X 6.8 SPC for deer hunting, had it hydro dipped and everything. I carried it four days in one of our gun seasons and never carried it again. Too awkward!

I also hunt with a HK 770, 308 win. I have killed deer with both, but I like carrying the 100 carbine more.

I can't stand today's guns with plastic stocks. I replace those plastic stock with walnut one that I made myself.

Last edited:

hps1

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. .308 would be my choice because I'm good to go on loading eqpt. Thanks for the info!

Regards,
hps

Did you send yours in for the Winchester recall? Some were firing out of battery with disasterous results. The W changed out the rotating bolt head to fix it.

jrothWA

IS the Sn leading with a "alphabet" character?

If so, then a post 64.

Wisners' has the dies for new made magazines and some parts.

wachtelhund1

Did you send yours in for the Winchester recall? Some were firing out of battery with disasterous results. The W changed out the rotating bolt head to fix it.
No, I called Winchester gave them the SN, they told me it had not been changed. They asked me to mail the old firing pin back to them. A week later I had a new firing pin in the mail. I installed it my self.

44 AMP

Staff
The problem, as I recall, was that the original firing pins could bend or break, and become stuck in the bolt face, acting like a fixed firing pin and firing before full lock up (out of battery).

Heard about the firing pins, never heard a word about Win replacing the bolt heads until your post.

Some were firing out of battery with disasterous results. The W changed out the rotating bolt head to fix it.

It is entirely possible that Winchester changed out the bolt on guns that had been damaged firing out of battery and only replaced the firing pins on those which had not. You'd have to ask them.

One small point, about your new .243, I think you ought to fire a few groups with it, before you bed the action. Maybe you won't need to bed it at all, you probably will, but I'd shoot it a bit, first, just so you know, and also so you can tell how much, (if any) improvement your bedding does.

wachtelhund1

You are correct, with the old firing pins some did break and get stuck in the bolt face and fire out of battery. Never heard about bolts being damaged, but also entirely likely. Winchester did the re-call on the firing pins in 1990 and have been supporting Winchester 100 owners ever since.

It was another poster that mentioned the bolt head.

Some of the Win 100's and Remington semi-autos got a bad raps about being jammers. I believe if a 100 jammed is was because the owner did not know how to or was too lazy to keep a clean gun. It is a fact, the 100's are more difficult to clean than a bolt action. But once one does it, it becomes a simple task. I clean and oil my action before and after the deer season. Individuals who fail to clean a semi-auto, would also fail to clean a lever and pump action rifle. I have a neighbor who is a farmer. One day before a deer season, he brought his browning lever action; said it wouldn't fire. I opened the action and I thought I was looking into a farm tractor. He had so much grease (tractor grease) in it the firing pin would not move enough to set off the primer. I flushed the action out with engine cleaner.