Winchest Model 70

Deegle

I'm borrowing a Winchester Model 70 from a relative (30-06). They said I could take it deer hunting. Now that I have it home, it looks a little too nice to hunt with. Any idea of value and/or year it was made. Number is 617XX. It is flawless, with a nice scope on it. Thanks.

Sorry - Should be "Winchester" in the title. Fingers got sloppy.

jmr40

According to www.armscollectors.com your rifle should have been made in 1947. I am no expert, but depending on its condition and features it is probably pretty desireable. I would be afraid to guess at its value, but a lot of hunters would pay upwards of $1000 to buy one to hunt with. In near perfect condition it would bring more to a collector.

Horseman

Is is a standard grade or Super Grade? A good indicator would be the ebony forend cap on a Super Grade. Either way, I'd hesitate to hunt with a pristine old Model 70 especially if it wasn't mine. Transition period M70's are collectable and can range from $800 to several thousand dollars. Remember the things important to collectors. In order of importance; Originality, condition, and rarity. I'd not chance scratching a gun this valuable that wasn't mine. I always liked how Winchester marked the barrels "30 gov't 06"

kametc

Whatever the grade, hunting deer is somthing that particular rifle was made for. They loaned it to you, fine take care of it. Don't drop it or get it wet. Basicly treat it well, and take it hunting. You have discovered the "Riflemans Rifle":D

Ken

Gun 4 Fun

Be extra careful with it, whether or not it was made to hunt with. Depending on it's actual condition and exact model, you might be holding between 1200-2000 dollers worth of history.;)

Deegle

Thanks so much for the info guys. No ebony cap, so it is likly standard grade I suppose. It is very nice though. Hardly looks fired. My grandfather wasn't one to buy guns not to use them though, so I'm sure it has been in the woods several times. I think I'll leave it at home. It can grace the safe until my grandmother wants it back. I'll look for something cheaper for the deer. Thanks so much!

Protect it with Beartooth neoprene sleeves

Beartooth makes protective sleeves for rifles. A complete set includes a barrel sleeve, a forearm sleeve, and a buttstock sleeve. In addition, a scope sleeve is available, in 3 sizes, also.

These sleeves are made of neoprene, so they are waterproof. They come in several camo patterns.

When a complete set is slipped over the rifle, the only place exposed to weather, or scratches from thick cover, or rubs against your body, etc., is about a 12 inch section of the rifle from the pistol grip to the forward end of the magazine.

So, cover it and use it! That's what it was made for.