Win M94 Black Shadow 24" vs Marlin 336 - Comments?

Yanus

Here is the situation. I am looking at buying another lever action 30-30 to be used as a possible "bug out" gun to carry in the vehicle should things go from bad to weird. I like the idea of the Black Shadow synthetic. Does anyone out there have one of these pieces? Even though I prefer M94's, I am open minded to the Marlin 336 as well. Ideas are appreciated as always.

Tom Matiska

Feel for yourself before going for the longer '94. The heavier barrel and lighter synthetic stock make it a little nose heavy for my tastes. Something about balance of the standard Win and Marlins that just plain feels right.

Would a pistol caliber model be better suited for your intended purpose? You can put more 357's, 44's, or 45's in a tube than 3030's, and use the same round for a companion pistol.

Tom

Byron Adams

M94 Black Shadow

My Black Shadow is in 20", handles well and accurate. The 94 carries better in the hand and feels more balanced. I lucked out and got one that was in the 99 Shot Show. It is brushed Chrome.
The 30-30 is hard to beat but I do agree with the comment on pistol calibers.

joebogey

You might also consider that due to the ejection port, the Winchester is a little more troublesome when mounting a scope.

Byron Adams

The angle eject versions present no problem for scopes. The older models did as the scope was mounted on the left side of the receiver.

Yanus

Thanks, guys.
I want a rifle calibre due its longer effective range. I'm one of those who feel if you are going to carry a rifle, make it a rifle calibre. I may look around for a Black Shadow with a 20" barrel.
I think that it or the Marlin just might fill the bill. I like the M94 because it is lighter than the Marlin. All of the Win synthetics around here in Dallas have the 24" barrel. I will keep looking.