Win. M75 .22LR Target

VictorLouis

I just saw this in a pawn shop, and I have some questions.

It has a target peep rear sight, and though the front blade is narrow, it still has a gold bead. There is no ramp-style of rear sight, so I assume the target rear is original. There are several sets of screws along the top of the action, and even the barrel. Could this be to allow a forward scope mount? The barrel tapers from 1" down to .75-.8" at the muzzle and seems to be right at 18", crowned dead flat. The turn-bolt is quite smooth, and the overall blue and finish I would guesstimate at 90%. The stock has a checkered forend, but the wrist is totally smooth, which seems a bit odd. It's also around 90%. The rifle gives the appearance of being a youth 'target' rifle, though it shoulders and fits fine for me.

The only glitch is that the magazine is missing, and I don't have a clue as to how difficult they are to obtain, nor the cost. How much are they, and how many rounds do they hold? At $229, what do you all think?

iwovet

Victor
Sounds as if you have a cut-down Win 75 which is an entry level target gun. The original 75 had a barrel length of 28" and took a 5 or 10 round mag. The bead front sight is another giveaway that it was sawed off. With the short barrel I would consider something else if you want it for competition. Hope this helps:)

Jim Watson

Yes it did, if you paid $61.30 to get the Lyman 57E instead of $54.65 for the open sight 75 Sporter (in 1956.) The Target model was $62.40 with peep and globe sights, $46.30 with none.

But I agree, VictorLouis saw a cut down 75 Target. Just guessing, the forearm may have been checkered as part of cutting it down from a beavertail Marksman style. The holes on the top of the barrel are for traditional outside adjustment target scope mounts.

Numrich has repro magazines for $13.85 but I don't know their quality.

I think I would rather have a good cut down 75 than nearly any of the current model .22 sporters. What I do have is a cut down Remington 513T.

See if you can get the price down by pointing out that it has been so much altered as to wipe out any collector's value.

VictorLouis

What would be the correct factory barrel length for the sporter? That way, I could take a tape measure in with me. Would the receiver say M75-Sporter, or similar? If the front sight(base) is original, would there be a groove on either side to accept a snap-on hood? Thankss!

JohnPL

The magazine well, forward of the trigger guard, would have "Sporter" inscribed on it, and the rifle would have a ramped front site with grooves to accept the hood.

Jim Watson

Standard Sporter barrel length was 24".
The pistol grip was checkered and capped.

If there is a barrel band a couple of inches back from the foreend tip, that is a holdover from a Target, not present on Sporters. But I still suspect the stock was remodeled and may have been shortened enough to eliminate that.

iwovet

Jim Thanks for setting me straight on the sights offered on the 75, my research material and memory didn't show a choice. I also had a 513T when I first started competition and it too was a great shooter. :)