Win 94 Trapper & Legacy 44 mag - comments?

Yanus

Does anyone have any experience with these 2 rifles in 44 mag? Are the new ones any good? I've heard that the quality isn't what it used to be in the Winchester lever guns. I know that the new ones have that goofy safety. I am interested in using cast bullets in it. How is the accuracy and recoil? Thanks for any comments.

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"

Icopy

Until last month, I had a 94 legacy in 45 LC. I loved its looks and that's about it. The lever wasn't smooth at all. There is a sear safety that the lever needs to press for the gun to fire. To do this, you have squeeze the lever to the stock tightly. Also, the trigger had so much foreplay in it, you could never fire rapidly. The manual said that this foreplay is a SAFETY feature. The older Winchesters are great, but the newer ones are too PC. Get a Marlin. You won't regret it.

Yanus

Icopy,

Many thanks. You just saved me a bunch of money! I may just get a Navy Arms 92 in .45 Colt or .357 mag. I remember the "good ole days" when "PC" meant Personal Computer! (sigh)

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"

Gunslinger

Yanus, don't forget about the Marlin or a used example of it or the Winchester. I'm not knocking the Navy Arms (In fact I'm lusting for one right now myself ;)) but there are a lot of good used lever guns out there. You might try going to www.collectit.net and looking in the Gun List classifieds at some of the used guns for sale.
Just a thought.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!