Win 94 loading problem

beenthere

I just bought my first lever C/F (Win 94 30/30) after 45 years of shooting. Never even handled one before.
Is there some "trick" to loading through the loading gate? Even on the first shell when spring pressure should be at it's lightest I have to use the nose of a second shell to push the first shell all the way into the tube.
I had thought one advantage to a lever action would be to EASILY top it off to keep a fully loaded rifle but this sequence is self defeating.

Thanks in advance.

surg_res

Sounds like you answered your own question and figured out how to do it. Yeah, loading them is a pain but you should be able to top-off without problem (w/ 2 shells).

44-40

Yes they are all thumbbusters regardless of caliber,do not fully insert the cartridge and let the loading gate slam shut, rather leave the shell in the magazine left slightly out( 1/8") and continue loadiig this way until you are happy ,then push the last cartridge fully into the magazine and let the gate close, the nose of the bullet at 90 degrees to the gun is the best way to start off

beenthere

Win 94 loading

Thanks folks. I feel a bit foolish. Forty five years of shooting handguns and rifles (nearly all bolt & single shot with a little semi auto thrown in, but never exposed to the lever action. Still young enough to learn though.:)

I appreciate your tutoring. Anything else I ought to know?

Thanks,

Ron