Win. 1300 Finish?

Tim Whittaker

Does anyone know what kind of finish the 1300 Defender has? I want a 1300 but first I want to know what it is. Thanks......Whit

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am not sure if it is bluing or paint, I think the former. Scratches easily and doesn't do much to prevent rust on the barrel. The receiver is aluminum, no problems with rust there.

manny1

The finish is anodised. I own 2 1200's which are the younger brother of the 1300. I refinished both receivers with alumihyde 2 from Brownells. This is a lacquer based paint that does not require baking to cure it. I have found that anytime you have a rust problem on any firearm it is usually due to 1 factor: Neglect. My guns are checked every month just to be sure. Even sooner if they have been exposed to the eliments. Plus you have to wipe them down every time you handle them. And that gets really tough if you own the amount that I own. A good rust inhibitor that I've found is Flitz metal polish & protectant. You put it on & it works like a charm. The only finish it does not like is reblued guns. It will take the rebluing right off. Factory bluing is safe. Must be something in the rebluing process? I don't know. What i do know is that Flitz does work on factory blued guns & all other finishes. I hope this info helps.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Md has lots of wet weather, and my oldest 870 has seen plenty of it. No rust. People have used everything from car wax to bear grease with good results, provided they use a little elbow grease also.

IOW, how often and well one cleans and lubes is mo' relevant than what one uses or the nature of the finish.