Wilson match grade problems

SPEMack618

I recently purchased a Wilson match grade barrel for my Colt M-1991A1. Install required a little polishing to fit, but the Wilson manual said that might be needed. However, the gun now refuses to chamber anything. No Winchester, UMC, or Federal factory loads. Nor any reloads. The only time it will chamber factory FMJ is if I run them through my budding reloading press and reseat the bullet. But this is factory ammunition. Any ideas?

Wilson was less than helpful. Keep getting told to use quality factory ammunition.

Shotgun Slim

I have seen more than one "hi dollar" .45 need a tighter crimp to chamber rounds. Especially Wilsons. Make sure your crimp measures .468 then try the plunk test. Good luck

RickB

You say "the gun refuses to chamber", which sounds like it could be a feeding problem, too much extractor tension, etc.
The problem is that rounds do not drop completely into the chamber just from the force of gravity ("plunk test")?
Sounds like the chamber needs to be reamed.

Most factory ammo that I've mic'd at the case mouth runs .473", when my handloads go .470", so I wouldn't think factory ammo would necessarily be a fix if the problem is a too-tight "match chamber".

rock185

Good luck SPE. I don't know if the Wilson drop-in barrel I bought would actually function or not. It did drop in to my Colt Govt. Model without any fitting whatsoever, i.e., loosely. I never tried to fire live ammo in it. WC, kindly refunded the full purchase price....

HiBC

For future reference...The suppliers,IMO,should be a bit more clear about "match grade drop in barrels"
And those who would expect to install such a barrel in their 1911 as "drop in" are perhaps naïve or not well informed...no offense intended.

I'll give you one very simple explanation of what MAY have occurred.

First,there is a stepby step process of fitting a 1911 barrel ,both to the frame,and slide stop,etc,and to the slide. "Drop in" MAY mean the barrel passes some steps,but you still must take the steps.
Usually,the hood needs fitting.Hood to slide fit can influence headspace.
Now put your little centering jig on the barrel lower lugs,into the slide.Put Prussian blue on the locking lugs in the slide and see how your locking lugs fit up. Do you get good blue transfer? Maybe yes,maybe no. Now,think of this.Your barrel locking lugs were probably delivered with dead sharp corners.
Are the inside corners of the locking lug cuts in the slide dead sharp? Probably not.So at full engagement,the corner condition interference might prevent most of the locking lug surface from bearing. This creates a false short headspace condition.
In any case,checking headspace and perhaps running a chamber reamer in IS part of any rebarrel.Even on a drop in rifle barrel.
I understand,1911 parts are sold as "drop in" That is illusion. The 1911as a "DIY"project gun is illusion. A mere mortal can work on a 1911,but it takes commitment to learn the gun and get proper tools

One more silly question. When you checked to see if the rounds would chamber,did you dropthem in the chamber and drop the slide? Or did you feed them from a magazine? It matters.Forgive me if you already understand.

Last edited: