Wilson CombatShok-Buff Recoil System

Marquezj16

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-System-Commander/productinfo/64C/

attachment.php

Anybody have these installed in your 1911?
Any improvements in recoil or accuracy?

Attachments

• 64c.jpg
    64c.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 335

gunluver

No difference in accuracy....not meant for that. It does change the recoil "feel." What is is really meant for, is to "cushion" metal pieces slamming together...supposedly causing a little less wear and tear on your 1911. I use them, I like them.

g.willikers

The feel of the recoil can be altered by changes in springs, both the recoil and main springs, since they work together.
There's lots of good info on the subject at brianenos.com and thehighroad.org, in the 1911 stickies in the gunsmith section, and also at m1911.org plus other 1911 sites.

The longer guide is supposed to prevent coil binding, and the pads are to protect the gun from possible damage.
Some guns don't like the pads and develop problems of various sorts from their use, though.

The pads take away some of the shock of steel on steel. They do work, I have one that is just going by the 3200rnd mark. I like em, but you can buy just the buffer pads for about 7$

Marquezj16

No difference in accuracy....not meant for that.

The reason I asked is because of WC claim below at their website.

The combined effect of the match grade Wilson springs together with the smooth functioning full length guide rod, facilitates a more consistent barrel lock up, resulting in improved accuracy.

It sounds believable enough.

I can see how a more manageable recoil can improve follow up shots.

I'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks for the info.

Nnobby45

Bill Wilson has been selling shock buffs for a long time.

Every gun smith I know recommends against using them.

With the slide locked open, there's no flex. You can't hand release the slide and it's so tight, you need a lot of pressure on the slide stop. They don't last that long, and pieces can get loose in the gun.

Properly used, they might have a place for target shooting if you feel you need to protect your frame from battering.

As for the rest of the recoil system, If you trust the reliability, then OK. My Kimber CDP2 has a similar looking system and it works fine.

After a few decades, I've been thru the shock buff, recoil system, group gripper, extended guide rods, fragile FO sights, and numerous other aftermarket features that I've acquired in my junk box.

But, I had to get it out of my system before I came back to the basics that work just fine.:)

Last edited:

BigJimP

Both of my Wilson 1911's came with them installed ...and I've kept using them ...but I don't know about the claims on their website...

Dino.

I had one in my Springer but I didn't notice a difference in recoil or anything.
Some comments have been made in other threads about the shock buffers getting chewed up and causing jams. Though it's never happened to me, I really didn't see a reason to take any chances, especially since I never really experienced any advantages to begin with.
I no longer use them.

KyJim

I agree they're okay for the range but the shock buffs have no place in a defensive handgun. They can shred and lock up your pistol. Yes, frequent changes help but, to me, it's just something else to possibly go wrong. I also don't think many of us here will shoot enough to batter to death the frame of a quality 1911. First thing I did when I got a Wilson was to chuck the shock buff.

1911Tuner

BUffin'

Marketing.

First, convince the customer that he needs it, and then sell it to him.

The combined effect of the match grade Wilson springs together with the smooth functioning full length guide rod, facilitates a more consistent barrel lock up, resulting in improved accuracy.

Can't wrap my head around that claim. The guide rod never touches the barrel. The spring returns the slide to battery. Smooth or rough...that's its primary function. That's why it's there. Anything else that it happens to do is incidental and essentially irrelevant.

Properly used, they might have a place for target shooting if you feel you need to protect your frame from battering.

See Marketing.

The slide just doesn't hit the frame that hard, and the frame abutment is designed to absorb what impact there is. Neither is there a lot of difference in the impact between a Commander and a 5-inch gun...or between a Commander and an Officer's Model...even with equal springs. If you use a FLGR to keep everything tracking straight, you can fire any of the above... including a LW Commander...without a recoil spring. I've done it many times to convince the "ZOMG! The frame is being destroyed!" crowd.

All this concern over the frame is amusing. The slide is what takes the real punishment. The slide and barrel assembly is the gun. The frame is the gun mount. The frame gets a light kiss compared to what the slide absorbs.

Skadoosh

Bill Wilson must have been a pick pocket in a previous life. Because all he is doing is lifting cash from your pocket with that product.

Marquezj16

I figured that because the shok-buff are polymer they would wear out. Other companies make similar products. Are theirs better?

Thanks for the input.

NJgunowner

The other companies just saw Wilson making lots of money off 10cent parts and joined the bandwagon. FLGR are a waste too. Both my 1911's came with them and I got so fed up with them I switched them to GI plugs. Best decision I've made with them :rolleyes:

1911Tuner

Buffed

Back in the mid-60s, my sainted old daddy and his salty old brother used to hit the shows and buy ratty GI pistols...mostly WW1-era...for as little as 25-30 bucks apiece.

They were stacked on vendors' tables like so much cordwood, and they could barely give'em away. The next table had pretty much any new old stock part needed on the cheap. Those two would bring'em home and rebuild the guns.

They sold a few to finance their hobby, but mostly, we shot'em to death with 35 cents per box surplus ammo. Then, they'd strip'em down to the frames...go buy more parts...lather/rinse/repeat until the frame rails were so worn out that another peen-down was pointless.

I still have a couple of those old home-built pistols that didn't get shot much after the final rebuild. Not one shows any impact abutment peening or deformation. They're cracked at the junction of the rails and the spring tunnel. They cracked many years and many tens of thousands of rounds ago. The cracks never progressed past a certain point. They're retired now, and I rarely shoot'em...but when I do, they work just fine.

At this point, it might be good to note that more than a few slides and barrels were replaced due to lug deformation, and a couple cracked at the junction of the breechface and the port...most often on the left side...but the frames fared very well.

In those days, there was only one spring available...and they probably wouldn't hit 15 pounds new.

When I first heard these dire warnings over frame destruction, I was like:
"Uh? LOLWUT?" But...it was accepted and swallowed hook, line, and sinker...and the marketers have since made a mint on shock buffs and extra-power springs.

Last edited:

Marquezj16

So is the full length guide rod is not any better than the stock piece?
It comes with two weight springs, 10#s and 18#s. One for light weight loads and one for heavier loads (I guess).

Well, it's suppose to get here today and if nothing else, my Milspec will have a couple of new parts on it and a couple of spare parts.

1911Tuner

re:

So is the full length guide rod is not any better than the stock piece?

Nope.

The 10-pound spring is included to let powderpuff loads will cycle the slide. The 18 pound spring is too much for 230 grain loads, up to and including +P. It'll work okay, though...as long as the slide doesn't outrun your magazine springs and do the Bolt-Over Base or Last Round Jump the Magazine dance.