Wilson Combat Spec Ops 9

LockedBreech

So, I did a pretty thorough search to make sure this hadn't been brought up, but I was doing some window shopping over at Wilson Combat, since I live in a house made of diamonds :)p), and I saw that they have a "Spec Ops 9" pistol. Polymer 16+1 9mm. As far as I knew Wilson was a 1911-exclusive outfit. Does anyone know anything about or own this gun? It looks like it could be a hoot.

As an additional question so as not to take up forum space, is the Wilson ammunition worth the extra money, or is it just foofed-up quality factory ammo?

Thanks for your input.

L.S.

rsxr22

The Wilson is definitely worth the money! My buddy bought one 4 months ago and between him and i have put around 18k through it. He mainly uses it in competition but it also serves as his HD gun. They are high quality like everything else Wilson makes.

He got his from a local Master Dealer called B&B Armory in Youngstown, OH. After he bought his, they immediately bought another and they just received it about a week ago. They are so awesome and if i had the $1900 i would buy it in a heart beat! Too bad, i just paid off my Wilson Supergrade :(

But if you have the opportunity and means i would highly recommend getting one. And if your in the market, the above shop has one in stock, so no 4 month wait for the build

rsxr22

i would recommend the Wilson ammo for carry, just because it is definitely going to run through the gun. However, the Spec Ops is different then other 1911's. A lot of them are finicky with JHP's, but the Spec Ops runs any HP's still i would recommend getting 2 boxes of their ammo. Run one just to make sure and load the other up for CC or HD

BigJimP

I have a few wilson's and they are great guns ( in 9mm, .40S&W - and .45 acp of course ) ....but I do not have a spec ops ...although it is an interesting concept ..( I would not normally be attracted to a poly frame gun ) ...but I must admit I'm attracted to the concept of owning one ....

As far as the ammo / I don't know ...not to say they don't know what they're doing ....but I can buy Hrdra Shok, etc locally -- and it meets all my needs for carry ammo as well. There is an article this month in "handguns" or maybe "American Handgunner" ---don't remember but it just came in the mail the other day .../ where they tested the ammo and it got a thumbs up ...

rsxr22

The BW Carry is also of course an amazing gun. Anything WC makes is great though. But as you know there 2 completely different platforms. So you need to decide whether or not you want a carry gun or a gun you can shoot more often and use for target, possibly competition, and occassional carry depending on the climate and your dress.

franks

im possibly in the process of trading one of my les baer's UTC (retail for $1890)for the spec ops, is it a good trade?

i like the idea of 9mm and high capacity and hey its a Wilson

It's not worth it, I would keep the Baer and buy a cheap (by comparison) Para P18.9 (19rnds of 9mm). The para isn't as good as the wilson, but you can send it off or do the work yourself to move it up to that level much cheaper than wilson can. Para barrels are excellent, the frames and slides have great reputations despite being cast, and the triggers are pretty much excellent out of the box. The slide to frame fit and barrel fit is good, but it isn't "wilson" good. That can be changed with a trip to the smith.