Wilson Combat 1911 Springs

AAChang

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen,
I come to you once again seeking your wisdom. I just bought a complete spring set from Wilson Combat. It comes with an 18.5lbs recoil spring, extra power firing pin return spring, sear spring, plunger spring, magazine catch spring, and mainspring. I already installed the 18.5lbs recoil spring and the extra power firing pin return spring on my new Kimber Custom Classic II, but what about the others? Should I take it to a gun smith? Do I do it myself? Does it even matter? Do any of these parts affect the performance of the gun? Are the wilson parts better than those that came with the gun or should I get keep what I've got? Your advice and wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Sundance

Well to answer your questions as best as I can, Wilson Combat uses Wolff springs exclusively and Wolff are the best springs in the business. As to whether you can change the springs yourself. Get a good book or video from Wilson Combat on how to completely disassemble the 1911 and you can do it yourself. Dillon Precision sells the AGI videos which are good as well. As to whether you should replace the springs or not...that is entirely up to you. My belief is...if it aint broke, don't fix it.

dsk

The sear spring gave out in my nearly-new Kimber Custom Eclipse II. When it did my pistol started doubling. A couple hundred rounds later the recoil spring had noticeably lost tension as well. So I have now replaced ALL of the springs in my Kimber.

blades67

What weight is your Kimber's main spring? What weight is the main spring the Wilson Combat sent you? If the Wilson main spring is an 18 pound spring, I'd replace the Kimber spring because it's probably a 23 pound main spring. The 18 pound main spring will still give you reliable ignition, but will help to reduce the trigger pull weight a little. Overall the trigger will feel lighter and more consistant. (Your sear will last longer as well.)

AAChang

Thanks guys, keep it coming, follow up question, would it be a bad idea to use the lighter hammer spring with the extra power firing pin return spring?

railroader

I have a 19lb. hammer spring and extra power firing pin spring in my kimber custom. It is totally reliable. Wilson states in his book "The Combat Auto" you can go as low as 16lb. with reliable ignition. Mark