Wilson Combat 1911 Buffer. Anyone use them?

Microgunner

Since they shorten the slide travel slightly they can sometimes cause malfunctions. My Colt's Lightweight Commander will not cycle properly at all with a buffer installed due to the already shortened slide stroke of this model.

feets

We put a buffer on a friend's 1911 and it wouldn't lock the slide back. The buffer prevented the slide from going back far enough. The same stuff worked on my old Auto Ordinance but that gun was so loose you could shake the pics out of it.

Be sure to check for FULL function when it's installed.

Superhouse 15

My Colt 1991 has one and it functions and cycles fine. Locks back and releases the slide with no issues. My Series 70 locks back, but won't release the slide properly with the same buffer inserted. They are set up identically, just different tolerances between the two. I have heard of them failing and breaking apart if used too much, but I change them out on a schedule and I've never personally seen it.

roklok

I use them and like them. I have tested them down to -50 F and they did not fail. I hear stories of buffers failing, but if the Wilson buffers hold together at 50 below zero, I have complete faith in them. One warning though, while I have never had one break up, if they get to the point where the slide cuts a deep groove in them, the slide can actually stick there and fail to return to battery. Change them when a groove starts to appear.

michael t

Midway made a sale thats what happened Their more trouble than their worth. How did the poor old 1911 get thru 2 World wars and other years of use with out all the add ons . make it for a 1911 and claim it does anything and people will buy :D

sdj

I use 'em on full size 1911s only, for the reason cited above: shortens the slide travel. Never had any issues using them on the full size 1911s; don't dare use 'em on the Commander. That said, I should give 'em a try on the Commander-size 1911s. I'm just a bit hesitant to use 'em on carry firearms; one failure at the wrong time... :-(

HorseSoldier

Used them on a 10mm 1911 without any problems. My Wilson .45 came with one, but my department armorer removed it during his inspection before I got a chance to fire it, so don't have any feedback on what, if anything, they do or don't do in that caliber.

Crunchy Frog

Used them on my Gold Cup without any ill effects but I was never sure I could tell any difference in recoil.

My slide would lock back just fine, but I could not release the slide by pulling it to the rear; the buffer blocked it from moving back far enough to release. No biggie, just used the slide release.

My last one finally split; have not bothered ordering more.

Hey, I figure, if I want to shoot polymer, I'll borrow the wife's PPS. Keeping the 1911 "old school": blue steel and walnut. I even took off the old Wilson-Rogers (that dates me) grips and replaced them with honest-to-goodness checkered hardwood.

john in jax

I don't know if I ever used the Wilson brand buffers, but I've used Ed Brown, Wolff and other Mfg's buffers on too many 1911's to count for the last 25+ years with no problems whatsoever.

I recommend you try them. I recently got a used Kimber Custom Target, dropped a buffer in it and it was chewed up pretty bad after just 50 rounds - a pretty good indicator that the recoil spring might be getting a little light.

If your gun functions fine with them the buffer isn't hurting anything, and it does help cushion the blow of the recoil spring plug on the base of the spring guide rod.

Last edited:

RickB

In one of my guns, the buffers last over 1000 rounds, so that gun clearly doesn't need any buffering. Another gun will slice a deep groove in the buffer in 200 rounds (same load), and I can't have that going on in a gun that often goes 500-1000 rounds between cleanings.

After finding out how many buffers have failed at DTI schools, I took mine out. It became such a problem that IIRC John Farnam now prohibits their use during any of his courses.

cjw3cma

Full sized 1911 - used them from day one / never had a problem / gun was "timed" with them in place / carry gun / reliable & I trust my life with this gun / a new buffer is put in after 100 rounds, just in case.

sidspappy

Had one literally disintegrate while in storage. Jammed up my 1911's lockwork when I racked the slide. When I got it apart, little black specks fell out! From that point on, I decided no more of that. Besides, from what I hear, your average round count out of the pistol will never get high enough to make a difference in the life of your frame anyway...

Kermit

I've used them in a couple of 1911s, one in a 38 super racegun and the other in 45 super. BOth were routinely loaded w/ REALLY hot ammo