wilson combat 1 shot extension

tango3065

I just orderd one of these what does everyone think of them? Also it comes with a vertical sling mount, mag spring, and funny looking high visable follower.

How is the quality or the wilson spring and follower and are they reliable?

In the picture it don't look like it has a hole for the barrel detent, does anyone know for sure if not what keeps it from loosening up?

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_mag_extensions.asp

gdm

wilson makes a good product.the same orange follower is in my 8 shot 870.it helps you visably see the follower to insure its empty rather than poking your finger in there and feeling around:D but always check the chamber as well.

I wish you were here in ohio, Id take a look at your 870.perhaps you can find someone in your area on this site that will help you out.

in speaking of choate--
what barrel length are you getting?the 7 shot choate works on 18" barrels, 8 shot on the 20" barrel.they generally run cheaper than wilsons and come with a clamp also.from the wilson pic, doesnt look like a clamp is present as one would probably be needed on a express barrel.

the clamp goes around the extension tube and fastens to the barrel.it wont move, youll have to take it off to remove your barrel.the dimples on the express models are inside the mag tube,not outside so you can use it ok.

tango3065

No I am not having any problems I am waiting on my extension, I built this gun from reciever only and its my second 870 I have done. I wanted the one shot because I think the larger capacity extension makes the gun front heavy and unbalanced like my other 870. As for the follower it comes with the extension and just wanted to see if they were any known problems before I install it and have to put the factory one back in.

fett tracking

wilson on an 870police

The wilson 1 shot I recieved was a piece of ****. It screwed on alright, but with the green follower they provide I could still only fit 4 (2.75) shells in the belly. I put the orange one that came with my 870p in and it worked with 5 shells, but its such a tight fit that when I chamber the first round out of the full mag, the shell shoots in to the reciever so fast I swear that thing is gonna cause me a problem. So far it hasn't, but its enough to make me not use it for work. I throw the stock remmy 2 shot ext. on it when I use it for work.

Of course I called Wilson, and the guy there was really cool, said he'd comp me for the shipping cost and a new extension if I sent it in and they found a problem, but that would take gas and postage, which just wasn't worth it to me.

I love the look of a mossberg, and a winchester m97 (I'm considering getting a norinco). To me the style of the magazine tube sticking out past the forend but not to the muzzle looks sweeet. But I wouldnt use either of those for work.

I call out to Choate and Tac Star and Raven... make a decent one shot extension that doesnt have a sling swivel. (I know Wilson is working on this, but good luck getting me to throw any money their way again).

kraigster414

I have the Wilson 1-shot extension on my Rem 870 Police and I have zero complaints. It's extremely well-made and for a defensive weapon, I see no singificant reason to go to the 2-shot - unless you plan to add a Lasermax LMS 1202 which requires at least a 2-shot extenstion tube. For the most part, Wilson makes good stuff.

rem870withveriforcebuttpad001.jpg

tango3065

It don't matter it won't fit, the vertical sling mount that is made on the extension hits the barrel and wont let it screw on because it tilts the extension at a angle, also the spring they sent me appears way to long like it is for a 2 shot extension.

Last edited:

fett tracking

Told ya. ;)

I didn't want the sling mount. I don't use slings for shotguns, and it looks stupid when not being used. The feller I talked to over at Wilson said he didn't use a sling either. He told me what he did - to just knock the sling mount part off the extension. It came off super easy and the extension screwed on fine.

Give that a try.
(I still reccomend getting another brand though...)

tango3065

Just contacted Wilson and sent it back they said that they most likely left to much material on the sling plate and said as for getting a spring made for a 2 shot instead of the 1 shot is very possible and it has happend before. They are going to send me a new one that has the sling stud made in the front of extension. I'll try again.