Wilson .45 owners

STAGE 2

Is there a particular kind of ammo works the best in your fullsize or is it just a matter of preference? I'm looking to get a KZ-45, but would appreciate feedback from any owners.

JohnO

I have not run too many different kinds of ammo thru my KZ. Have not had any problems with anything I've used. Usually, you need to check your particular gun to see its likes and dislikes.

Mine likes Federal Hydra-Shok and so do I. That's what I stuck with for defense purposes. For practice, I typically use 200gr swc reloads.

DeanG

Stage2,

KZ's come from Wilson's with a list of preferred ammo and ammo which may not function 100%. Though it is not on either list, I have put over 10k rounds of Georgia Arms 185 JHP's though my KZ without an ammo related problem. I use that as my practice/teaching and carry ammo. I also use Pro-Loads as a carry ammo which is also not listed by Wilson's.

Suggest you start by working off of Wilson's acceptable list first especially during the break-in period. Then you can experiment with other brands to see what your KZ likes. Make sure it flawlessly feeds at least 200 rounds of a certain ammo before you use it as a carry load.

Good shooting,

Dean

hitnthexring

Wilson 45 Value

I handled a Wilson CQB at Turner's Outdoorsman. I'm wondering if it's worth $1,800.00. The slide does feel smoother than any Kimber or other 1911 I've handled, but the HK USP "Expert" is probably just as accurate, comes with many expensive accessories & costs $1,400.00.

Shmackey

Not to mention that the HK will feed just about anything.

Honestly, I would expect a custom 1911 to work with almost any factory ammo. Superb reliability should be a given at that price.

hitnthexring

The 1911 design is over 90 years old. The HK, Sigarms, Glocks are modern designs. The 1911 will feed modern JHP's if it is modified, but I don't think any 1911 can be as reliable as an HK, Sigarms or Glock because there is much more metal-to-metal friction & more parts. I had a Kimber Gold Match ($1,200.00) that was good, but it never was as reliable as my Glock Mod. 21 ($500.00)

lonegunman

Never had any feeding problems with mine at all, using anything from FMJ's to Flying Ashtrays.

I am a big fan of S&B ammo. It is cheap, but it is also more accurate than most other ammo, and I mean even premium stuff by Remington and Federal.

Thats been my experience anyway.

Georgia Arms is also good stuff.

Gonzo_308

One should understand that everygun is particular to certain kinds of ammo. Wilson Combat has done the testing for you and given a list of ammo that functions in this gun the way it should. that doesn't mean other ammo wont function but it may not be as accurate! Every gun rag you read tells about how they tested the new Black and Decker xm042 pistol and of the 5 types of ammo tested the Alfonz and Gastogn 970gr supersonic JHP was the best with the tightest group of uust under 1/10th of an inch at 8000 meters unsupported standing.

Of course the article is strategerably placed next to the Alfonz and Gastogn ad too.:rolleyes:

My Wilson has eaten everything I've put through it period.

justinr1

I've gone through 3 cases of S&B. For the money I don't think it can be beat. Good accuracy, runs a little hot. What more could you ask for?

justinr1