Williams Peep sight

Wendyj

I just ordere the Williams sight with fiber optic front post for a Winchester 30-30 I bought back in 1972. New at the time and has been everywhere with me. Can't see the rear sight good enough anymore to feel adequate with it but hoping the peep works like my ar which allows me to see the front no issue. I don't want that cheap looking fiber optic sight on the front and am wondering if my brass bead front sight will work. It seems more than high enough compared to the one coming with the Williams. It sits in a dovetail so I don't have a press to push it out and am not going to tap it out. Gun smith can do it cheap enough but I'm wondering if anyone here has any luck with the peep on post 64 Winchester. Mine is drilled and tapped on left side for it. Gun not worth a lot but has sentimental value since I've had it so long.

turkeestalker

I have two 94BBs with Williams Foolproof peep sights on them paired with the original front blades, and I love them.
As my eyes struggle to focus shooting traditional iron sights these days, the peep sights help immensely.

5thShock

Got a Williams on a 94 with the red fiber optic front. The top of the Williams is flat except for the aperture, no elevator adjustment knob, nothing to block the view of whatever it is that needs lead.

mehavey

[The front sight] sits in a dovetail so I don't have a press to push it
You don't need one. Just get/use a small brass punch from your local hardware store and a small hammer to drift it out going left to right.

Reverse (right to left) in putting the new one in. It should be "reasonably" tight, but if the base is waaaay to big on the new one, just use a fine file to gently remove a very little metal until it fits. Don't go hog wild --- "Juuuuuuust enough...." ;)

Five-minute job. :D

T. O'Heir

"...front sight will work..." It will if the heights match. You should be able to measure the existing one and the flashy one with your calipres.

bamaranger

should help

Switching to a peep from the stock bead and blade should help you to bring the front sight back into focus. Especially if a peep is working for you on an AR, which typically has a far shorter sight radius (with the front sight assembly at the gas block) than a 20" M94 (front sight at the muzzle).

I did the same thing with a Marlin 1894 and its stubby barrel, and it let me shoot the little carbine well for a long time, and accuracy improved as well, or at least my ability to shoot it accurately.

dgludwig

QUOTE: "... wondering if my brass bead front sight will work..."

Most likely, it will. I've put a Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight on more than a few of my rifles, including a Model 94 AE, and have never had to change the front sight for height reasons. And, like you, I much prefer the stock brass bead to the fiber optic type.

Wendyj

It finally got here and I got it put on. Now to sight it in. I can finally see my front sight again. Only thing I don't like is the angular piece that locks the up and down adjustments down. I can live with it once sighted in. Front sight looks like it's going to be fine. Won't know without getting to the range for sure. I can't believe how much clearer my front sight is. Thought it was looking a little funny at first but after removing front sight hood everything was sharp. The fiber sights seem really cheap and I really don't want to use if it can be helped. I do wish I could get a smaller peep for more light but I think this one will be perfect for hunting.

LeverGunFan

There is a neat adjustable iris available for peep sights, it's made by the Merit corporation in both target and hunting models. The hunting model is the second item on this page:

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

You can easily adjust the size of the aperture by simply rotating the rear face of the disc. The only downside is it's cost, but it's still far cheaper than a good scope.

Paul B.

QUOTE: "... wondering if my brass bead front sight will work..."

It will.

QUOTE "I do wish I could get a smaller peep for more light but I think this one will be perfect for hunting."

You should have an insert that unscrews to give a larger aperture for hunting. The insert is primarily for paper. I always remove the insert prior to hunting and the sight works just fine. Without the insert you have a ghost ring sight.
Paul B.

hank327

I have a post 64 Model 94 (1972 IIRC) that I put a Williams Foolproof on back in the late 1980s. It zeroed perfectly with the original bead front sight. No need to use that fiber optic thing unless you just want to.

SARuger

I used the XS Sights on my 1981 model 94AE.

The front sight did not work. The stock blade front was too short. So I ordered a new taller front from Lyman and its just right.

The XS fits tight to the receiver and has a large aperture, works just right for what a 30-30 should be used for.

My ghost ring/peep sighted 30-30's.

IMG_20160430_100139433.jpg

Last edited: