Will you CC a gun with 3K rounds through the pipe?

ramp_tech

I have a 3rd generation S&W Semi-Auto Police Trade In in 40S&W and I believed it has about 3K rounds on it's frame, barrel, and all the internal components; I have since replace the recoil spring and guide rod.

Would you trust a gun that's ten years old with only a new recoil spring assembly to be your CC piece? I like the gun so much I would like to carry it. :D

A big fan of good old steel brick gun!

ChicagoTex

Would you trust a gun that's ten years old with only a new recoil spring assembly to be your CC piece?

If it's demonstrated reliability at the range, especially with my carry ammo, I could care less how old it is or how many rounds it's fired.

Besides, 3k isn't very much at all.

Shadi Khalil

My carry gun is barely 2 years old and has 5000+ rounds through it. I trust it more now than I ever did. However, they are rounds I have shot, for some reason I wouldn't feel as comfortable if I bought it today with someone else's rounds through it. I know exactly what ammo I have shot, # of +P's and how often its cleaned (every time its shot). That said, I still would trust it, just probably always have the above in the back of my head.

Slopemeno

Don't sweat it. That's a very, very well built and reliable series of guns. I certified 120 of them for duty every year for four years, and they were incredibly reliable.

wnycollector

My CCW's are ALL old and have had thousands of rounds through them. The oldest CCW I own is a 1964 S&W M36 and the newest is a 2001 CZ 40B. If they are reliable and accurate I do not have a problem carrying them! If my 1924 5" S&W M&P were a bit smaller I would not hesitate in carrying that either;)

BTW, your 3rd gen S&W is just getting broken in at 3k rounds!

azredhawk44

Somewhere between 5000 and 10,000 rounds it could probably stand a new barrel if peak accuracy falls off.

Aside from that... heck yeah.

I don't even trust a gun for carry until it has at least a couple hundred rounds through it.

If I were only supposed to trust it from 500 to 2000 rounds, I'd be changing carry guns every six months at least.

Kreyzhorse

If it's reliable at the range, I'd have no reason to doubt that it wouldn't be reliable as a CCW gun. I say carry it and relax.

ramp_tech

Thanks guys!

My boss carries a Sig P250 that has a 9K round-count. I guess my S&W is like a baby compare to that.

I do have to say, the more I shoot, the better it feeds (esp. on the hollow point). I am thinking about refinishing the slide because there are a lot of wears.

ChicagoTex

I do have to say, the more I shoot, the better it feeds (esp. on the hollow point).

Probably a combination of the smoothing that just comes from use, and the break-in of your new recoil spring.

Refinish it whenever, that's just cosmetic - that said, stainless guns are very easy to refinish nicely.

hoytinak

That's just getting broken in. My duty gun is a little over 11yrs old with a little over 50K rounds through it. :D

wvshooter

I've got a 5906 in the stable and a 4046 on the way. These are built like tanks especially the ones whose numbers end in "6" because they have a stainless steel frame as opposed to an aluminum frame. The round count on these guns can go way way up. Have you checked out the Smith Wesson forum? There's good info on classic Smith and Wesson semi autos over there.

DWARREN123

I"ll put more than 3,000 rounds a year thru a handgun. Just check it when cleaning to make sure nothing has broke, do this to any and all firearms.

Bismarck357

If it goes "BANG!" everytime you pull the trigger then I don't see a probblem, hell; I've got an old S&W model 13 that I bet I've put 15,000rds thruogh or more and aside from messin' with the trigger-action a lil-bit its never failed me.With proper care, some guns will out last you!

evan1293

I"ll put more than 3,000 rounds a year thru a handgun. Just check it when cleaning to make sure nothing has broke, do this to any and all firearms

Last summer I put over 3k rounds through my glock 17 in 2 weeks!
:D

Kermit

Except for my newer 442, I don't have any guns w/ less than 3000 rounds through it...so, yes, I would trust a gun w/ 3k through it as a CC piece..