Will yhe real Unique Load please stand up

garryc

I'm loading a 180 grain Armcorp FMJ flat point and 175 grain cast in 40 S+W.

Here's the thing, the Lyman 49th says 5.8 grains max. The Alliant pamphlet says 6.4 max with a 180 grain JHP. Alliant online says 6.7 max with a Speer GDHP. That GDHP has at least as much riding on the bore as the bullet I'm using.

I'm loading with a progressive. While most checks are 5.8 grains some floated down to 5.4 and others up to 6.4. Now you would thing that if one dropped light the next one would drop heavy if the powder was hanging up in the tube but that didn't happen. When I found one light I checked the next one and it was right on the money most times. (Yes I tried a baffle, didn't work)

OK, Unique meters like crap, that is a given. The fluctuations are not important as all they have to do it hit an 8 inch plate at 21 and 30 feet, function the firearm and not over stress it. Spending time to make precise when precise is not a requirement seems a silly waste of time to me.

PA-Joe

You have to learn how to double tap the handle to drop the powder into the measure and then double tap to make certain it all drops out. This is a technique issue. You have to be consistent in how you operate the press and stroke the handle.

sawdustdad

I've loaded A LOT of 9mm using unique on my Square Deal. (5.0g to 6.0g) I do not see such wide variance in the powder charges. More like +/- 0.1g. Are you by any chance using a digital scale? I've seen those flail around on charges that are consistent by balance scale. And yes, technique is important. Each stroke jiggles the hopper at the top of the handle stroke (seating the primer). This I think ensures the powder measure gets a consistent drop.

noylj

Have you loaded with this measure before and gotten good results? I would report this to the manufacturer.
For powder measures in general:
1) Disassemble and clean. Best to use something like Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Dry Lube. Clean the metal part and let it air dry (leaving some dry lube on the metal). Be sure the powder path is clear of burrs or obstructions. NO oil.
2) In general, run some graphitized powder or simply powdered graphite through the measure.
3) Be sure that you have a pistol rotor installed for pistol loads (usually less than 20-25 grain charges or so).
4) When you fill the hopper, be sure to gently shake the measure to settle the powder.
5) Always throw at least 10 charges and throw back in hopper before you ever start to measure the charge weight
6) If manually cycling the measure, be sure that you always "tap, tap" on up- and down-stroke.

Unique is a difficult powder to meter. This means that in any properly functioning measure I have ever used, you may get as much as +/- 0.2 gn variation. With Unique, this really doesn't matter unless you are pushing near proof load pressures--the powder will still group just fine.

RKG

A year or so ago, prompted a similar discussion, I charged 25 .45 ACP case with 6.3 grains of Unique, using an RCBS Uniflow powder measure -- and then went back and measured each charge using a balance beam scale. All 25 were in the range 6.2 - 6.4 grains.

I conclude that Unique is not inherently throwable, which implies that less consistent results elsewhere are the product of equipment, technique or both.

Sevens

Spending time to make precise when precise is not a requirement seems a silly waste of time to me.
I can definitely see your angle here, and there are times when I see things that way as well. Primer pocket cleaning or flash hole uniforming, for example.

However, there is another way to look at it and it is where our perspectives will run away from each other at 180 degrees:

I simply will not use Unique because I know, have seen and have used it and I have tried it in two different powder measures. It meters like hell for me. I love the measure I use and I certainly wouldn't consider moving to a different measure to make use of -one- "legendary" powder who's heyday was in the 1950s and 60s. There are just far too many other choices that work just as well down range without that hassle at the bench.

You just detailed and witnessed a possible full ONE grain swing in powder drops, that is a full FIFTEEN percent swing at that charge weight.

From my point of view--
I don't care if two consecutive shots find the same hole at 25 yards. Frankly, it comes nowhere near giving me the personal satisfaction that I am doing the best of my ability to craft quality ammo. That is enough to affect my shooting, the enjoyment of my shooting and the confidence in my ammo.

Dedicated fans of Unique needn't take any of this in ANY way other than... "one less guy buying your favorite powder."

KEYBEAR

I just loaded 100 44 Mags with 10gr. of Unique . My powder drops are 10.0 and 10.2 and that was a RCBS Uniflow . It works very well and has for over 40 years .

Nick_C_S

Yes, Unique meters crummy - that's a given, as you stated.

But 0.8gn variance? That seems like a lot. KEYBEAR is getting 0.2gn variance. That's about what I get (I have an RCBS Uniflow).

I like Unique. I have Unique. I use Unique on a fairly regular basis. But I typically use it for middle of the road range shooters. This due to its metering idiosyncrasy.

As far as the difference in load data: Try not to get too wrapped around the axle over it. As an experienced loader, I can tell you that you're going to see this a lot. Start at a common-sense low to moderate level, and work up to serve your purpose (within the limitations of the powder, of course).

garryc

I tried cleaning it and wiping it out with a dryer sheet with limited results. Still it throws with a +/- .3 grains. And there is no handle to knock, it's set up on a linkage. And yes the small bore chamber is in it.

Solution, abandon Unique in a progressive. I guess I'll only use it for .357 and 45 colt loaded single stage. I have 6 pounds of it or so, most made in 1993.

Fortunately I found 2 cans of AA#5 in my stash. I loaded that at 6 grains. That throws with a +.- .1 variance.

cheygriz

Switch to Hodgdon "UNIVERSAL" or Accurate Arms #5. both are similar to Unique but are ball powders and meter very consistently.

I use HS-6 in my .40 loads, and It works perfectly. But it would probably require a more powerful load than you want to burn cleanly.

serf 'rett

Solution, abandon Unique in a progressive.

That's one solution.

I load on a single stage so cases are charged one at a time, with the Uniflow dropping Unique at +/- 0.1 grains all day long. W-231, Power Pistol, AutoComp all meter better, but the Unique works (when I do my part).

What powder measure are you using?

WVMountaineer

OP, you can beat that kind of discrepancies by simply using a Lee dipper. They work great! And you can load precision rounds with them. God Bless

garryc

What powder measure are you using?

A RCBS Uniflo that is connected to a linkage and a powder drop die in a progressive press. I also have another uniflow on my bench. The one on the bench really doesn't have issues. The one on the progressive moves gently and the chamber is exposed to the hopper. The one on the bench does not have the chamber exposed to the hopper. That is snapped up then down so the charger is getting a jarring effect.

rtpzwms

Spending time to make precise when precise is not a requirement seems a silly waste of time to me.
.8gr difference is way too much imho dangerous. to use unique on lighter loads
I went to radio shack and bought one of the little shaker motors and rubber band it to the powder dispenser. not much as a shaker but does a great job of helping unique meter properly. if you don't want to do something like that then tap the powder hopper a couple of times between each stroke.

garryc

.8gr difference is way too much imho dangerous. to use unique on lighter loads
I went to radio shack and bought one of the little shaker motors and rubber band it to the powder dispenser. not much as a shaker but does a great job of helping unique meter properly. if you don't want to do something like that then tap the powder hopper a couple of times between each stroke.

Can you post a little more info on this? A pic or a model or something.