Will weaver stlye rings work with picatinny base?

Vt.birdhunter

Mounting a burris fullfield II on my M1A loaded with a sadlak scope mount.

Will weaver rings mate with this base?

Which is sturdier, picatinny style rings or weaver rings with this base?

Found a nice set of steel Leupold 1" PRW rings for around $50, can anyone recommend a different set for this application? Looking for steel construction for less than $100.

Thanks in advance for advice, its always appreciated.

riggins_83

Mounting a burris fullfield II on my M1A loaded with a sadlak scope mount.

Will weaver rings mate with this base?

Which is sturdier, picatinny style rings or weaver rings with this base?

Found a nice set of steel Leupold 1" PRW rings for around $50, can anyone recommend a different set for this application? Looking for steel construction for less than $100.

picatinny use a wider slot than Weaver, Weaver rings will work on picatinny bases.

I know you said all steel.. but I'd highly recommend Burris XTR rings ( http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrrings.html ). They're relatively light and extremely strong.

"“What are the differences between the ‘Picatinny’ and the ‘Weaver’ systems? The profile of the two systems is virtually identical. Depending on the quality of the machining done by the manufacturer, the two systems should be indistinguishable from the profile. The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206″ wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true ‘Picatinny’MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next."

( http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/tech-tip-picatinny-vs-weaver-rail-specifications/ )

Last edited:

mapsjanhere

The only difference between Weaver and Picatinni rails is the groove width, Weaver is 4 mm, Picatinni 5 mm. So your weaver rings will fit, but they'll take a shot or too until they are fully settled.

Vt.birdhunter

Dang you guys are quick, lol. Great stuff. I have a set of Burris XTR rings on my AR, love them, but folks I talk to are pushing all steel for durability.

Are 6 screw aluminum rings more solid long term than 4 screw steel rings?
These rings are for my "teotwawki" MBR

Thanks again.

riggins_83

Are 6 screw aluminum rings more solid long term than 4 screw steel rings?

IMO it depends on the situation. With the Burris XTR they got around one of the major disadvantage of aluminum bases by using a bolt with a 1/2" nut versus threading steel screws into aluminum bases.

Far as the scope ring caps go... when using proper blue compound threadlock I see no reason for an advantage with steel versus aluminum in this case. With the 6 screw setup you have very good tension applied on the scope over a relatively long area. I cannot think of many calibers I wouldn't trust these rings for.

TheManHimself

Just because no-one explicitly stated it, I'm going to point out for those who are wondering that the reverse is not always true. Weaver-style accessories will fit Picatinny rails, but due to manufacturing variations allowable in the Weaver spec, accessories designed for Picatinny rails will not fit all Weaver rails.