Will this be acceptable range ammo?

Padawan

I've been looking online for inexpensive plinking ammo to put through my recently purchased P226 9mm. I'm not concerned about stopping power, etc., because it will only be used with paper targets at a maximum of 25 yds. Basically, I'm just looking for something that won't harm my weapon, fail to feed, or cause any other problems. Does anyone have any experience with any of the following ammo (listed from least to most expensive):

Wolf 115 gr. FMJ Berdan primed
Sellier & Bellot 115 gr. FMJ Boxer primed
CCI Blazer 115 gr. FMJ
Magtec Pistol 115 gr. FMJ
Federal Independence 115 gr. FMJ

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive sites to order from? Thanks everyone.

Trip20

Yeah you'll find those rounds cheaper at a local store (I've found this true in my community anyway).

Besides no shipping and handling... and hopefully you'll be supporting a local business.

Wolf are fine, but REALLY dirty... not bad for range plinking though. And they're dirt cheap.

I would have to go with the CCI Blazers though, which are just as cheap, but cleaner and you can even save more cash by getting them in alluminum casings instead of brass (usually $1 cheaper than brass casings).

No idea about Sellier & Belloit or Magtec (never used either one) but I know the Federal are OK as well.

Basically anything that feeds through your gun reliably, and doesn't break the bank is going to be fine for having fun at the range.

After those two criteria are met you'll look for the least dirtiest and most accurate. Personally I'm not a good enough shot (yet) to be worried about the accuracy of my ammo... when I miss I can tell it's me. When I'm ready to fine tune my abilities then I'll get picky on accuracy of my ammunition.

Padawan

Thanks guys. My local Walmart's don't carry ammo or firearms, so for me, certain online stores are cheaper than what's available locally. :(

At this stage, I'm really not concerned with accuracy (unless they're absurdly wild, which I wouldn't imagine any reasonable ammo would be), but I don't want something that's going to make a huge mess of my weapon in terms of "dirtiness". The Blazers seem like they'd be a pretty good choice then, but I suppose experimenting with a few different kinds can't hurt. Once I find one I like, then I can order the larger quantities. With local stores not really a low-budget option, are there any discount websites that come well recommended among members here?

stephen426

Some ranges have a problem with Sellier and Bellot although I'm not quite sure why. It's probably because they want to sell more ammo at their jacked up prices. Other than that, I have seen few restrictions. I don't like the CCI Blazers because they are dirty as heck. I've used the Wolf stuff too but I thought they were cleaner than the CCi Blazers. That film they coat the bullets with does get all over your hands though.

For mail order, check with Sportsman Guide, Cheaper than Dirt, and Midway. Try to buy a case at a time as this will be cheaper. You don't have to pay tax for mail order as long as the company doesn't have an outlet in your state. Ammo is heavy though and considered hazardous material so shipping is not cheap. You might want to call the next closest Walmart to find out if they carry ammo and at what price. They have 9mm for a pretty reasonable price.

If you really shoot a whole heck of a lot, you should consider reloading. That is if you have the space and time for it. The best price I've been able to find is about $.10 per round of 9mm. Just think about chucking a dime at a target everytime you pull the trigger. I guess it beats chucking quarters like shooting .45 acp. Forget about chucking even more money shooting .44 mag or .50 AE.

Good luck and if you find some great deals, let us know!

jonathon

Surplus nato 9mm is usually really cheap... and pretty good quality I might add. I think dad got a case of 1000 for 65$ at a gun show a couple years ago, and we still got about half left.

Trip20

Find it hard to believe your only option for local ammo purchase is Walmart. Do you have a Gander Mountain or other sporting good store nearby?

I go to Gander Mountain and they are by far the cheapest anywhere here locally, and they seem to beat any price I find on line, especially once I factor in shipping, waiting for them to be delivered, and using a credit card (interest)...

stephen426 - I think it's funny how you and I think the opposite is the dirtiest (Wolf vs CCI)... not that either of us is lying... it's just funny how same ammo gives two diff people diff experiences and opinions.

One thing about those Wolfs though - that red pain around the primer splatters all over the breech face, and gets inside the firing pin hole... that worried me more than the dirt all over the place.

stephen426

Trip20, I look at all the crap on the outside of the gun near the muzzle as well as inside the slide when I disassemble it for cleaning. The sealant for the Wolf stuff has come off before but I didn't realize it could present a problem.

The big sports stores sometimes have sales but more often than not, they are more expensive that what you can find online or at a gun show. You could consider going with reloads if you buy from the same person all the time. Some of the reloaded stuff is pretty good even though some people are afraid to shoot them.

Trip20

Gander Mountain:
---Wolf 9mm = $4.99 box of 50
---Wolf .45acp = $7.99 box of 50
---CCI Blazer .45acp = $8.99 box of 50 (brass casing)
--- " " " " " " " " = $7.99 box of 50 (alluminum casing)

That's pretty darn cheap. I cannot find ammo cheap enough on line to justify the S&H, use of Credit Card, and the wait for my ammunition to be delivered.

If you guys know if a site that has better deals than above, or a site that's low low price justifies the above hassles... PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

EDIT: I also never buy 60 boxes at a time which is probably why I don't see on-line purchase at a savings...

And even purchasing in bulk like the link posted above ( http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=32425 ) your paying $5.00 per box of 9mm ammo on-line if you purchase 1000rnds... I can get it for that locally. If you only purchase 250 rnds your paying $6.00 per box!

Padawan

Trip20 said:
Find it hard to believe your only option for local ammo purchase is Walmart. Do you have a Gander Mountain or other sporting good store nearby?

I go to Gander Mountain and they are by far the cheapest anywhere here locally, and they seem to beat any price I find on line, especially once I factor in shipping, waiting for them to be delivered, and using a credit card (interest)...

I live in northern NJ, and unfortunately, the only real sporting goods stores are Ramsey Outdoor Stores, which don't have very good deals on ammo. I'll have to call around to some other smaller shops, because I would certainly prefer not to have to order online. However, the difference between $0.20 per round and $0.10 definitely adds up.

BigSlick

1000 once fired 9mm brass - 15.00
1000 primers - 15.99
1000 115 ball bullets - ~7.00
1 lb of Titegroup - 12.50 (enough to load about 1500 rnds)

Total - 50.00 per thousand (2.50 per box) the first time

After that, pickup your brass and reuse it -

1.75 per box from then on.

Makes a basic reloading setup seem like a decent investment if you're going to shoot a lot.

If not, the Greek ammo stephen426 linked to is great ammo, as is CCI brass.

Online you might try Ammo man or AIM surplus.

Good luck with it ;)

BigSlick

Swamp Yankee

Shot a bunch of S&B and Magtech, no problems.

The only thing I don't care for is the tight primer pockets on the S&B. Makes shoving the new primer in a bit of a challenge.
I suggest trying Natchez Shooting Sports www.natchezss.com
They usually have prices that are tough to beat even with shipping.
Other than that I agree with BigSlick, set up a reloading station and have at it.
Take Care

Trip20

ammoman.com is horrible. I'm sorry if this is someone's buddy... but at least here locally I can crush him when comparing per/round price in a 50rnd box... considering his "bulk prices" for the same...

Still I've yet to have someone post an on-line site that beats my local-pick-it-up-when-you-feel-like-it-no-worries-about-s&h-prices.

No sarcasm either it's really horrible on-line compared to what I have locally... either some people are getting screwed in their home towns or truely, when you map it out, 50rnds/$ is better for me in town than on the web.

??? Still waiting to see a kick-a$$ website with drop dead ammo prices.

9mmsnoopy

"Gander Mountain:
---Wolf 9mm = $4.99 box of 50
---Wolf .45acp = $7.99 box of 50
---CCI Blazer .45acp = $8.99 box of 50 (brass casing)
--- " " " " " " " " = $7.99 box of 50 (alluminum casing)"

thats not that good a deal. academy has wwb(better than wolf and blazer) 9mm for $4.86 a box, a case for less than 50 bucks,THATS a deal.

on .40 walmart is cheaper than academy.... go figure.

Trip20

No Academy in my town. :(

Anywho, my point was I can't find prices that good on-line but am welcome to suggestions. :)